Football Football

City Stars survive as KCB, All Stars drop

City Stars head coach, Dennis ‘Wise’ Okoth in a past SportPesa Premier League match. PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya.

NAIROBI, November 1 – For the third season running, Nairobi City Stars survived relegation after coming from behind to draw 1-1 with Sony Sugar as curtains on the 2015 SportPesa Premier League came down on Sunday.

In Kisumu, KCB drew 1-1 with hosts Western Stima to join Nakuru All Stars in the second tie.

Elsewhere, Jesse Were scored twice as Tusker thrashed AFC Leopards 3-0 to bag the Golden Boot with 22 goals ahead of Gor Mahia’s Michael Olunga who finished with 19.

Bandari sealed their first ever top 8 spot after holding Ulinzi Stars to a goalless stalemate at Nakuru’s Afraha Stadium to finish fourth on 46 points.

Sitting two points above the relegation zone, City Stars needed to match KCB’s result to survive, pending an agreement by Football Kenya Federation and Kenyan Premier League on the criteria of relegation/promotion.

Gambian striker, Sanneh Ebrima netted when it mattered most in the 50th minute to cancel out Amos Asembeka’s 28th opener and give the Kawangware based side a sigh of relief.

The result saw Sony suffer a major blow in their Top 8 quest as they finished 10th on 35 points.

Ugandan winger, Jimmy Bageya and Sanneh were inspirational for Dennis ‘Wise’ Okoth charges as they enjoyed fine exchanges at the half hour mark but the latter’s shot was sent out for a fruitless corner.

Asembeka opened the scoring for the Sugar belt side after City Stars keeper Ronny Kagunzi spilt the ball from a Rober Omunuk corner before City Stars wasted chance to level from a set-piece at the edge of the box.

City Stars resumed a re-energised side and it paid off nine minutes after the interval when Saneh headed home from a Calvin Masawa cross on the left wing.

Omunuk then set through Amos Nondi but the latter misfired with only the keeper to beat before Masawa found Sanneh but Gambian headed wide in the end to end action.

Sony could only find the woodwork five minutes to full time through Omunuk as City Stars held on for the crucial point.