Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Features

Qatar World Cup stadium worker dies

Qatar has been accused of abusing the rights of more than 5,000 workers helping to build the facilities for the Gulf state which will host the 2022 World Cup © AFP/File / Marwan Naamani

DOHA, Qatar, Oct 23Qatar’s World Cup organisers have announced that a worker employed in the construction of one of the stadiums for the 2022 tournament has died in a “work-related” incident.

It is the first time World Cup organisers in Qatar have announced a work-related death in regard to the tournament.

“It is with deep regret we announce a work-related fatality on one of our projects” following “an incident on Al-Wakrah Stadium on Saturday morning,” said the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy.

“A full investigation is underway to determine the factors which contributed to the death of one of our workers,” it added.

The statement did not identify the worker or give details on the nature of the incident.

Qatar has been widely condemned for its treatment of foreign workers.

The issue of deaths among migrant labourers helping build stadiums for its $30 billion tournament has long proved controversial.

Critics have claimed that 1,200 workers have already died and up to 4,000 could perish before the World Cup begins, a figure vehemently denied by Qatar.

Qatar has an estimated 1.6 million migrant workers, more than 85 percent of the entire workforce, according to government figures released at the end of 2015.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The number of workers employed on World Cup sites in Qatar is expected to peak at 36,000 by 2018.

In February, organisers said six labourers building stadiums for the tournament suffered work-related injuries last year but there were no fatalities.

In May, it was announced an investigation had been launched into the death of an Indian worker at the Al-Bayt stadium, but organisers denied his death was work-related.

Shaped to look like a traditional dhow boat, Al-Wakrah stadium has a capacity of 40,000 and will be used up to the quarter-final stages in 2022.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Features

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved