Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

NATIONAL NEWS

316 Kenyans have died in the Gulf States since 2002, Mudavadi says

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 10 – Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi says at least 316 Kenyans have died in the Gulf States since 2002.

Appearing before the Senate plenary Wednesday morning, Mudavadi indicated that the government is negotiating with the countries to improve working conditions.

“The records we have show that the total number of Kenyans who have lost their lives in the Gulf region is 316,” he said.

The states include Saudi Arabia with 166 deaths, Qatar 58, UAE 51, Iraq 25, Bahrain 10, Kuwait 6, while Oman and Iran have zero deaths.

He further stated that Kenya will establish safe houses in the Gulf to shelter migrant workers in distress before they are repatriated.

Mudavadi disclosed that Kenya is in the process of negotiating 19 memorandum of understanding.

He said the move is part of a multifaceted approach to end the plight of Kenyan migrant workers in the Middle East covering Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain and the United Arap Emirates.

Mudavadi had earlier informed Senators that out of the more than 416,000 Kenyans working in the Gulf states 316 have died since 2022.

Temporary Speaker Veronica Maina directed the Mudavadi to furnish the House with the identities of the Kenyans working in the Gulf and indicate the work they have been employed to do.

Comments

More on Capital News

Kenya

The suspects were arrested in various parts of Nairobi as protesters took to the streets.

Kenya

Buyu condemned the governor’s remarks, saying they demean women leaders and undermine the progress women have made in Kenya’s political space over the years.

Top stories

NAIROBI,Kenya May 19 -President William Ruto on Tuesday arrived in Astana, Kazakhstan, for a two-day State Visit focused on strengthening diplomatic and economic relations...

Top stories

The agreement seeks to deepen collaboration in digital learning, vocational education, industry-academia integration and sustainable development between China and Africa.

FUEL PRICES

DCI warns organisers and financiers of violent acts during Kenya’s nationwide PSV protests as hundreds are arrested and transport paralysis deepens.

NATIONAL NEWS

Nairobi Central Police Station OCS Dishen Angoya arrested over alleged unlawful release of 64 detainees held during nationwide PSV and fuel price protests.

crime

During the raid, officers intercepted the suspect and, upon searching him, recovered 850 rolls of cannabis sativa (bhang). Additionally, officers seized another 1,000 grams...

crime

"This incident not only endangered lives but also resulted in significant property damage, and investigations remain active," the DCI said via it's social media...