Marsabit rebuilds after conflict subsides

May 22, 2014 10:51 am
Shares
Former Speaker Francis ole Kaparo who chaired the Multi-Ethnic Peace Committee says that an additional Sh3 million is required to ensure that all permanent, semi-permanent, temporary homes and businesses are fully re-built.
Former Speaker Francis ole Kaparo who chaired the Multi-Ethnic Peace Committee says that an additional Sh3 million is required to ensure that all permanent, semi-permanent, temporary homes and businesses are fully re-built.

, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 21 – The government intends to spend Sh173.8 million to reconstruct 1,540 homes in Marsabit County following the tribal clashes experienced earlier this year.

Former Speaker Francis ole Kaparo who chaired the Multi-Ethnic Peace Committee says that an additional Sh3 million is required to ensure that all permanent, semi-permanent, temporary homes and businesses are fully re-built.

He commended the County Government on the additional Sh60 million that was pledged emphasising that this is a crucial phase in the restoration of harmony that requires the support of all stakeholders.

“One hundred and eighty pages of names of owners whose houses were destroyed during the clashes have been listed which the government has promised to compensate and the County Government will allocate funds to complement the allocation and we are sure that this money will enable long lasting peace in the counties,” he said.

Garissa Senator Yusuf Haji appealed to Marsabit County leaders to maintain and remain committed to the peace process to enhance development in all the counties.

“We have achieved relative peace in Marsabit in particular Moyale which was the epicentre for the problem. Police have been posted, these officers are now mobile. This has gone a long way in reassuring the communities that the government is serious and nobody will be allowed to really play around with life and properties of individual Kenyans,” he said.

“The inter-agency meetings which are regular help to report on the progress and develop a roadmap from time to time should still continue. We urge the members to carefully guard this process and embrace dialogue and negotiation”

The Government approved and released Sh397.1 million In February which was chandelled through the Ministry of Interior for peace, security and humanitarian intervention in the conflict.

Sh20 million has already been used in reconstruction of schools namely Moyale Girls Secondary, Funanyatta Primary and Sessi Academy and to Moyale, Isiolo and Marsabit Sub County hospitals.

Kaparo says as mediators they will continue to demand for transparency and accountability on the use of funds allocated for reconstruction of all counties affected.

“We have remained open to dialogue and consultations with the leaders to ensure that they are kept updated of the undertakings. A series of consultative meetings with the leaders and the community will be conducted from time to time. Peace restoration takes time, ” he explained.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed