Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Workers carry the exhumed bodies in bodybags to the mortuary, at the mass-grave site in Shakahola, outside the coastal town of Malindi, on April 25, 2023. - Kenyan investigators unearthed another 16 bodies on Tuesday in a forest where a cult was believed to be practising mass starvation, bringing the number of victims so far to 89 including children. There are fears more corpses could be found in Shakahola forest where cult leader Paul Mackenzie Nthenge had allegedly been telling his followers that starvation was the only path to God. (Photo by Yasuyoshi CHIBA / AFP)

Top stories

Kenya’s starvation cult deaths at 98 with many more missing

NAIROBI, Kenya Apr 27 – The number of victims linked to a suspected starvation cult in Kenya climbed to 98 on Wednesday as weeping relatives anxiously awaited news of loved ones after investigators unearthed mass graves last week.

The discovery of dozens of bodies buried in Shakahola forest near the coastal town of Malindi shocked Kenyans, with cult leader Paul Mackenzie Nthenge accused of driving his followers to death by preaching that starvation was the only path to God.

The gruesome saga, which has been dubbed the “Shakahola Forest Massacre”, has prompted calls for a crackdown on fringe religious outfits in the largely Christian country.

“We had a lot of challenges today with the rain but in the end we had eight bodies taken out,” a police source told AFP, bringing the total to 98. “We will continue the exercise” Thursday, they added.

At the state-run Malindi Sub-County Hospital, where the morgue is already stretched well beyond capacity with dozens of bodies, families were desperate to know if their loved ones had been found.

Teenager Issa Ali was taken to Shakahola in 2020 by his mother and told AFP he had been beaten by Nthenge when he tried to leave, until his father rescued him.

“The last time I saw my mum was in February,” the soft-spoken 16-year-old said.

“She was so weak the last time I saw her.”

Onyancha said Wednesday that 39 people had been found alive so far in the 325-hectare (800-acre) bush around Shakahola, while 22 people have been arrested.

Hassan Musa, a Kenya Red Cross official, told AFP that 311 people, including 150 minors, had been reported missing to its support staff in Malindi.

“We are talking about people mostly from Kenya, but also from Tanzania and Nigeria. Some have been missing for years.”

– More bodies feared –

“We don’t know how many more graves, how many more bodies, we are likely to discover,” Interior Minister Kithure Kindiki told reporters during a visit to the site on Tuesday, adding the crimes were serious enough to warrant terrorism charges against Nthenge.

Most of the dead were children, according to three sources close to the investigation, highlighting the macabre nature of the cult’s alleged practices, which included urging parents to starve their offspring.

Hussein Khalid, executive director of the rights group Haki Africa, which tipped off the police about Nthenge’s activities, told AFP the pastor’s Good News International Church appeared to require children to starve first, followed by women, and finally men.

He said 50 to 60 percent of the victims were children, whose bodies were found wrapped in cotton shrouds inside shallow pits.

Kenya’s President William Ruto has vowed to take action against rogue pastors like Nthenge “who want to use religion to advance weird, unacceptable ideology”.

As the investigation unfolds, questions have emerged about how the cult was able to operate undetected despite Nthenge attracting police attention six years ago.

The televangelist had been arrested in 2017 on charges of “radicalisation” after urging families not to send their children to school, saying education was not recognised by the Bible.

Nthenge was arrested again last month, according to local media, after two children starved to death in the custody of their parents.

He was released on bail of 100,000 Kenyan shillings ($700) before surrendering to police following the Shakahola raid.

Nthenge is due to appear in court on May 2.

Comments

More on Capital News

NATIONAL NEWS

The raid unearthed two human skulls and the freshly deceased body of an unidentified adult male in nearby thickets.

crime

DCI established that the 'pastor' administered water known as maji ya uzima ("water of life"), believed to have healing properties, which was drawn from...

Top stories

In the ongoing manslaughter case, Paul Mackenzie of the Good News International Church is accused of ordering his followers to starve themselves and their...

NATIONAL NEWS

The witness narrated that Mackenzie convened a large meeting where he ordered a mass fast — starting with children, then women, and finally men.

NATIONAL NEWS

The Public Prosecutor said the suspect identified as Edison Safari was amomng ninty-five accused persons charged with 283 counts of manslaughter.

NATIONAL NEWS

The taskforce, established in May 2023 in the wake of retrieval of bodies from mass graves linked to a starvation cult in Kilifi's Shakahola...

NATIONAL NEWS

NAIROBI, Kenya, July 26— In a harrowing testimony, the seventh prosecution witness in the Shakahola massacre terrorism-related case recounted being coerced into depriving his...

NATIONAL NEWS

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 12 – High court has declared the commission of inquiry into the Shakahola massacre illegal. This follows a suit filed by...