Driver of killer Umoinner bus arrested

October 30, 2013 3:05 pm
Shares

,

Kimaiyo said Wanjau would also be charged for causing the injury of at least 22 others through dangerous driving/FELIX MAGARA
Kimaiyo said Wanjau would also be charged for causing the injury of at least 22 others through dangerous driving/FELIX MAGARA
NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 30 – Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo has said the driver of the Umoinner bus that collided with a train on Wednesday morning is to be charged with at least 12 counts of causing death by dangerous driving.

In a tweet, Kimaiyo said police had already arrested the driver whose matatu caused the deaths and more than 20 injuries.

“Driver of the PSV Edward Githae Wanjau, 43yrs, under police custody; to be charged of causing death by dangerous driving. #UmojaTrainCrash,” the tweet reads.

Kimaiyo said Wanjau would also be charged for causing the injury of at least 22 others through dangerous driving.

Assistant Buruburu divisional police boss Benjamin Nyamae had told Capital FM News that they were detaining the driver at the Buruburu police station and were holding him accountable for the accident.

“After any fatal accident the driver is accountable for what has happened,” he said.

The National Transport and Safety Authority has threatened to revoke Umoinner’s operating license as the 12 deaths are the culmination of numerous complaints the authority has received over the manner in which the buses are driven.

This however begs the question why the authority did not pursue this course of action sooner making it closing the barn after the horse has bolted.

The Umoinner Sacco has however come out fighting urging the public not to indict their buses or drivers prematurely.

In a post on their Facebook page, the Sacco basically describes Wanjau as a sitting duck and transfers blame onto the police.

“The matter of fact is that Umoinner bus did not overlap or it was driven carelessly. The bus got stuck on the railway line while trying to cross…police shuld (sic) always stop the vehecles (sic) when the train is coming in advance so the question is did the police too sleept (sic) on the job?,” the post poses.

Nyamae however explained that while an officer is stationed at the Mutindwa market junction, none is stationed at the rail crossing.

Wednesday’s accident occurred barely a week after the Cabinet Secretary for Transport Michael Kamau launched a report on the Ntulele road accident that claimed over 40 lives in August.

The driver in that case was charged with over 40 counts of causing death by dangerous driving but the City to City bus company he worked for was allowed to resume operations albeit under what Kamau described as, “strict guidelines.”

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed