Medvedev set for hernia op, expects to be out 1-2 months - Capital Sports
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Russia's Daniil Medvedev in doubt for next month's French Open in Roland Garros

Tennis

Medvedev set for hernia op, expects to be out 1-2 months

PARIS, France, Apr 2 – World number two Daniil Medvedev announced Saturday he will undergo surgery to fix a hernia problem and could be sidelined for up to two months, casting doubt on his participation in next month’s French Open.

“The last months I have been playing with a small hernia,” the 26-year-old Russian said in a post on Twitter.

“Together with my team I have decided to have a small procedure done to fix the problem. I will likely be out for the next 1-2 months and will work hard to be back on court soon.”

The second Grand Slam of the season takes place in Roland Garros from May 22 to June 5.

Medvedev won the US Open last year but lost the Australian Open final to Rafael Nadal in January.

On Friday, the Russian failed in his bid to reclaim the world number one ranking from Novak Djokovic falling 7-6 (9/7), 6-3 to Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz in the Miami Open quarter-finals.

During this match, he looked physically diminished, taking a long break in the locker room between the two sets and asking for the intervention of the physiotherapist after having been repeatedly forced to lean on his racket, back bent, to recover after rallies.

Medvedev said he found it hard to breathe at times and was cramping so badly in the locker room he was like “a fish on a sofa.”

“All match, I wasn’t feeling my best,” Medvedev said. “After the tough points I was struggling to get my breath. I wasn’t recovering fast enough. You just have to fight but in the second set I felt strange.

“I don’t often feel like this but it happens sometimes when it’s hot. Maybe it was the heat but I was feeling dizzy and tired and there was one game where I couldn’t serve anymore. In the locker room I was cramping.”

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 27 – DStv and GOtv subscribers are in for a treat of the world’s best football this week as the 2020-21...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 6 – Gentrix Shikangwa scored with two minutes left as Vihiga Queens sailed to the final of the CECAFA regional qualifiers...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...