, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 9 – Deputy President William Ruto has dismissed an application by Kenya’s permanent representative to the United Nations seeking to halt the two Kenyan cases at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Through lawyer Karim Khan, Ruto says that the application neither represents government policy nor his personal wishes.
In an interview with Capital FM News, Khan says that his client never had input in the application.
“His Excellency the Deputy President would like to dissociate himself with the application by ambassador Macharia Kamau as it does not represent his desire. He was never consulted in the making of the application and not in the presentation.
He said that Ruto who was sworn into office last month was committed to upholding the Constitution which included respect for independent institutions.
Khan said that President Uhuru Kenyatta – also indicted by the ICC – had also given his word on honoring international obligations.
Khan reiterated that the United Nations Security Council had no power to terminate proceedings saying that the ICC was an independent court.
He said that it is only the ICC judges could make a decision on the termination of the cases or otherwise as the court, which he said had independent judges fully seized of the matter.
“The application is a distraction from the reality which is that no institution can interfere with the independence of the court. The judges have sworn an oath and they are the only ones who can make a decision on the matter,” he said.
He maintained that Ruto who had cooperated with the court since he was named among the suspects who have the greatest culpability in the 2007/08 post poll chaos will continue to cooperate with the court until he is vindicated.
“We are not hiding from anything; we will continue to expose the untruths and fabricated evidence against the deputy president through the existing channels of the court and controvert it to the last bit,” he further said adding that attempts as made by the permanent representative to the UN could create perceptions that the defence was not prepared for trial which was inaccurate.
Similar sentiments were made by radio journalist Joshua Sang who is accused together with Ruto. Sang through lawyer Katwa Kigen told Capital FM News that he was not consulted in the drafting of the application.
Kigen said that his client was ready to proceed to full trial to prove his innocence and will not settle on any other route other than within the court and before the judges.