Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Features

Totti paid to thwart son’s kidnap

TOTTI

Roma captain Francesco Totti (L) with his son Christian in Rome on May 10, 2011 (AFP Photo/Alberto Pizzoli)

MILAN, November 11 – Iconic Roma captain Francesco Totti personally paid a team of police officers for two years in a bid to thwart his son Christian being kidnapped, according to reports in Italy.

Totti, 38, is nearing the end of an impressive career with the ‘Giallorossi’ but the midfielder’s lofty status as ‘Il Re di Roma’ (the King of Rome) has not been without inconveniences.

Between 2008 and 2010 Totti had to pay for officers to watch over his son amid rumours a hard-line Roma ‘ultra’ supporter, who had just been released from prison, had been offered 50,000 euros to kidnap Totti’s son, who turned 10 years old last week.

The claims were made by Luca Odevaine, the ex-chief of staff for former Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni, while he was being questioned by police in relation to the ‘Mafia Capitale’ investigation, which saw 46 accused go on trial in Rome last week.

According to a report in Gazzetta dello Sport, police at the time were unable to confirm the rumours and it was decided Totti pay a team of officers, who were close to retirement age, from his own pocket to guarantee his son’s safety.

“One day Vito Scala (Totti’s trainer) came to see me and told me that a Roma ultra who had just gotten out of prison told him he had been offered 50,000 euro to kidnap Totti’s son,” Odevaine said in the report.

“He asked me to check. I checked with the then Carabinieri commander Luongo, with the mayor of Rome and with the special branch.

“Given we were dealing only with a rumour, we agreed it would not be appropriate to deploy security services. So it fell to a group of officers who were close to retiring to play a supervisory role outside of working hours.

“Totti paid them himself, giving the money to me before I passed it over.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The Mafia Capitale trial, which began last week, is focusing on a 46-strong mafia gang whose criminal tentacles reached into almost every department of Rome’s City Hall.

The gang are accused of operating a mafia-style network that used extortion, fraud and theft to divert millions of euros destined for public services into their own pockets.

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 27 – DStv and GOtv subscribers are in for a treat of the world’s best football this week as the 2020-21...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 6 – Gentrix Shikangwa scored with two minutes left as Vihiga Queens sailed to the final of the CECAFA regional qualifiers...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

© 2022 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved