Ruto heads back to The Hague Sunday night

October 13, 2013 2:29 pm
Shares

,

The Deputy President spent Sunday morning at the Deliverance Church in Umoja Estate where he thanked Kenyans for continuously praying for him as he stands for trial/DPPS
The Deputy President spent Sunday morning at the Deliverance Church in Umoja Estate where he thanked Kenyans for continuously praying for him as he stands for trial/DPPS
NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 13 – Deputy President William Ruto will leave Nairobi on Sunday night for The Hague, where he is currently on trial at the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity.

This is despite the advise by the African Union for Ruto and President Uhuru Kenyatta to snub the Court because it has become a political tool.

The Deputy President spent Sunday morning at the Deliverance Church in Umoja Estate where he thanked Kenyans for continuously praying for him as he stands for trial.

He expressed confidence that the prayers by Kenyans of all religious affiliations in connection with the case, had received favour with God and that he together with the Head of State and former radio personality Joshua arap Sang will soon be vindicated.

Ruto added that Kenya was headed for a great future noting that God had given its leaders grace and wisdom to provide the required leadership to take the country forward.

“Unless God builds a house, those who do so labour in vain,” he said while quoting the Bible.

Ruto, who was accompanied by his wife Rachel, renewed the government’s appeal to Kenyans to help security agencies keep peace and security.

“The government will continue to recruit more security officers and equip them well, but you as Kenyans also have a responsibility in assisting security agents to smoke out the bad elements in our society,” he said.

“We should be our brothers’ keepers; know your neighbours so that we can keep this country safe.

He will arrive in The Hague on Monday morning, where he will face the third witness against him.

The Deputy President was forced to travel to Kenya on Friday night to arrive on Saturday morning so as to allow the President attend the extraordinary summit of the AU in Addis Ababa.

And while in the Ethiopian capital, the Kenyan Head of State accused the Court of being a toy that is being used by declining imperial powers.

“The ICC has been reduced into a painfully farcical pantomime, a travesty that adds insult to the injury of victims. It stopped being the home of justice the day it became the toy of declining imperial powers,” he said on Saturday.

Kenyatta’s trial starts on November 12 but it is not clear whether he will appear after he wrote to the Trial Chamber V(b) Judges asking them to stop it.

He told the Chamber that he does not believe he will get a fair hearing at the ICC because he has grounds to believe that Prosecution witnesses have been bribed to fabricate lies against him.

He said that more than 10 witnesses had been paid to testify against him.

“The Defence submits that to seek to continue to trial is capable of resulting in a serious miscarriage of justice. The current proceedings are now so irrevocably tainted by widespread illegal action that to allow justice to embark on its course would result in a gross violation of the rights of President Kenyatta,” argued Kenyatta’s lawyers Steven Kay and Gillian Higgins.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed