Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

English Premiership

Rodgers praises ‘frightening’ Coutinho

COUTINHO-AGUEROLIVERPOOL, March 2- Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes it is “frightening” to discover how much Philippe Coutinho is worth now after the Brazilian scored the winner in a potentially decisive 2-1 victory over Manchester City

The forward’s goal kept the Merseysiders within touching distance of the Premier League top four and diminishes City’s own hopes of retaining their crown with them five points behind Chelsea having played a game more.

But it was Coutinho’s strike from the left corner of the penalty area 15 minutes from time that continued his personal rise.

The 22-year-old, who arrived from Inter Milan in 2013 for £8.5 million (11.7 million euros) signed a new five-year contract last month and has added goals to his game following Rodgers’ request.

The Liverpool manager also told how this victory was particularly pleasing given the late night trip home from Turkey where his side were knocked out of the Europa League to Besiktas on Thursday.

“It was a brilliant result and an equally brilliant performance,” said Rodgers. “We thoroughly deserved it, the players were relentless. It was very pleasing.

“Getting back at 4:30am in the morning on Thursday and not getting home to 6am and then to prepare for a game against the champions is not easy. You have to take your hat off to them for the way they dealt with that.

“It’s a big one but there are still a lot of games to go. It was a significant win because it keeps us in the chase.

“Coutinho is operating on a very high level. His performances in particular since he signed his contract have been a joy to watch.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“He came in at 19, is still developing. He’s a sensational footballer. To beat Joe Hart from that angle with that power was phenomenal.

“He is a player that has always assisted and made the final pass, he’s a very selfless player, he’s a very humble guy. There are improvements he can make, he is playing at a football club who adores him and loves it here.

“He has a humility, wants to work and is an absolute joy to work with. He was £8.5 million a few years ago, it’s frightening to know what he’s worth now.

“To keep them to one shot on target in a game they wanted to win was incredible.

“We can only focus on Burnley, we just have to concentrate on the next game and finish as high as we possibly can.

“If we can get into the top four it is better achievement than last season. We just need to keep collating the points.”

Jordan Henderson’s 10th-minute opener had been cancelled out by Edin Dzeko 16 minutes later before Coutinho found the winner.

– Not over yet –

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini refused to concede that his side’s title challenge is over despite this result meaning they failed to put any pressure on Chelsea who competed in the League Cup final with Tottenham.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“It is not over,” he said. “You never know in football.

“Liverpool scored very good goals. We also missed some good chances. It was a close game where Liverpool played very well.

“We are worried about our team, not anyone else. It is important to carry on playing in the same way. We scored nine goals in the last two Premier League games, that’s why I played the same team.

“Were Liverpool more energetic? The only way to explain is that they played well.

“We have to see the reaction in the next game. I hope the team will recover.

“I’m concerned that we are losing the ball too much – pressure is a factor. There is much we must analyse to improve.

“Of course it is difficult to reach the top of table if you lose three points. But we must keep going and try to return to our normal performance and see where it takes us.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Frankmumtaz

    March 7, 2012 at 9:11 am

    it is the knec council that sales out the examination,the knec council are thieves them selves.all the blame goes to the secrtary and the minister of education.innocent student who sufferd for four years should not be punished wrongly at the expences of  the council.there is no way astudent form commers,arabic and agriculture gets cancelled for all the subjects.i strogly demand for audition of the cancelled results and immediate release.other wise, kenya will suffer for the punishment knec is giving us wrongly just like what is hapening in afghanistan.

    • omumachina

      March 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm

      Hey! Mumtaz. are you Kenyan? where is Afghanistan coming from? we are talking about guys cheating in exams in northern Kenya, and you are talking about Afghanistan. I think you want to introduce fundamentalism in this discussion and you need to be followed by NSIS. Kudos to KNEC!

      • Yuyubenson

        March 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

        Mumtaz is worried 400 kids with no where to go in Garissa after the exam fiasco might be misled to join Al-Shabaab

  2. mugarissan

    March 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

    This is how it happens, parents contribute money to bribe invigilators
    during the national exam but now they are making noise accusing KNEC. , even buy exam papers and give to to the children.

  3. MMK

    March 7, 2012 at 1:11 pm

    This is ridiculous. You don’t send supervisors then you go ahead and cancel results.

  4. Sanity

    March 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm

    Is it also okay to say ” I stole the goods but because the police were not on guard”, you should leave me alone?

  5. abdirahman

    March 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

    Students are right,when you are engaged in an examination probably you are more likely a soldier in a  front war,any method you can pass and get big A is necessary,the council should go for quick investigation ,this is a crime ,the investigation must be conduct  according to the rules of law. we are in an  era of  optical fiber,3000 students are disqualified is sound like a national disaster .this is not Somalia,is it Kenya,if you can;t go in north eastern why you are in the examination office.

  6. George

    March 8, 2012 at 9:15 am

    The phenomenon is not to be mini-sensed. It’s KNEC’s fault, they shouldn’t stress the poor parents who sowed to harvest but not to loose even the little they sowed.Vividly hunters haven’t passed the trapped antelope  for he might loose  in his own trap.             

  7. Charles Collin

    March 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

    Wasange  should carry responsibility and step aside by torturing over 2500 students by providing a leeway for students and teachers to cheat and only to cancel the results (You have admitted that there was no KNEC official). Just resign. Your boss(the minister), the PS together with you are a total in the Kenyan Education system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 27 – DStv and GOtv subscribers are in for a treat of the world’s best football this week as the 2020-21...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 6 – Gentrix Shikangwa scored with two minutes left as Vihiga Queens sailed to the final of the CECAFA regional qualifiers...

© 2022 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved