Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Hezbollah drone attack kills four Israeli soldiers and injures 58

Hezbollah has claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said targeted a training camp of the IDF’s Golani Brigade in the area, which is based between Tel Aviv and Haifa.

Oct 15 – Four soldiers have been killed and 58 injured in a drone strike targeting an army base in northern Israel, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has said.

The IDF added seven soldiers had been severely injured in the attack on a base “adjacent to Binyamina” – a town around 20 miles (33km) to the south of Haifa.

Hezbollah has claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said targeted a training camp of the IDF’s Golani Brigade in the area, which is based between Tel Aviv and Haifa.

The armed group’s media office said the strike was in response to Israeli attacks in southern Lebanon and Beirut on Thursday.

The group said it targeted the camp in northern Israel using a “swarm of drones”.

The attack was one of the biggest on an Israeli position in more than a year.

The Israeli ambulance service, Magen David Adom (MDA), earlier said 61 people had been injured in the attack – including three critically. It added 37 of them had been taken to eight regional hospitals, either by ambulance or helicopter.

In a statement before the IDF confirmed the deaths, MDA said that alongside the three critically injured, 18 of the victims were in a moderate condition, 31 sustained mild injuries and nine people were “suffering anxiety”.

The reason for the discrepancy in the number of critical injuries between MDA and the IDF is not clear.

Israeli censorship rules had initially prevented media outlets reporting exactly where or what was targeted, before the IDF confirmed it was the Binyamina base.

Some Israeli media outlets have reported the base was hit by a low-level drone launched from Lebanon – a relatively unsophisticated weapon that appears not to have activated early-warning alarms.

Throughout the evening, television bulletins, social media posts and online reports showed footage of emergency vehicles, including helicopters, taking casualties to hospitals across northern Israel.

Many of the wounded have been evacuated to Hillel Yaffe Medical Centre in nearby Hadera – with others being taken to hospitals in Tel Hashomer, Haifa, Afula and Netanya.

Details are still scarce but many of the injured appear to have been in a communal canteen at the time and were caught completely by surprise. Images circulating on social media appear to show an empty mess hall with a hole in the roof.

Comments

More on Capital News

Sustainability Watch

The UN General Assembly has adopted a landmark climate resolution backing the ICJ advisory opinion on States’ legal obligations, with Kenya among 141 countries...

Africa

PLO Lumumba has condemned rising xenophobic attacks against Africans in South Africa, urging President Cyril Ramaphosa to protect migrants and uphold Pan-African unity.

DIPLOMACY

The Iran diplomat's remarks come as leaders from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) convened in Jeddah for emergency talks following a series of missile...

DIPLOMACY

The African Union has condemned Israel’s appointment of a diplomatic envoy to Somaliland, reaffirming its position that the territory remains part of Somalia and...

Fifth Estate

China’s decision to implement zero-tariff treatment for 53 African countries from May 1 comes at a critical moment for Kenya. As traditional markets become...

Israel-Iran War

It was noted that more than 230,000 drivers in Israel are already benefiting from electric vehicles, with an average family saving about 8,000 shekels...

Fifth Estate

From the onset of the crisis, Beijing has been consistent in its position. It condemned the killing of Iran’s leadership. It called for restraint....

Top stories

In a statement issued on Wednesday, April 8, Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Korir Sing’oei emphasized that Kenya’s position remains anchored in the principles of...