Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

coronavirus

Zaha offers health staff free accommodation

Palace accomodation – Wilfried Zaha has offered medical staff free bed and lodging in his London properties © AFP / JUSTIN TALLIS

LONDON, United Kingdom, Mar 21 Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha has offered free accommodation to medical staff in his London properties as they treat patients with coronavirus.

The 27-year-old Ivory Coast international is the latest football personality to offer a free bed, following in the footsteps of former Manchester United star Gary Neville and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

Zaha, reported to earn £130,000 ($150,000) a week at the Premier League club, willingly took up the baton saying he had friends working in the National Health Service and he could provide accommodation for the hard-pressed staff who could not return home after their shifts.

He has built up a property portfolio of around 50 properties in London, including in trendy Notting Hill. The flats are usually used by corporate clients but with global travel severely restricted there is not much call for them at the moment.

“If you do good, good will come to you,” said Zaha cited in The Times on Saturday. “It is clear that my intentions are that all I want to do is help at every opportunity, especially in the crazy period we are going through.

“Health workers please reach out. We have already had feedback — this is exactly what we wanted to achieve.”

His business partner Obi Williams said they had already been contacted by staff at two London hospitals.

“Anyone who can help and do their bit needs to stand up and help,” said Williams.

Neville, now a TV pundit, has offered free use of 176 rooms in two Manchester hotels he co-owns — including one opposite Old Trafford Stadium — and has called on footballers to follow his lead, while Russian tycoon Abramovich has invited medical staff to 72 rooms in the hotel at Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge ground.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The British government on Friday ordered all pubs, cafes and restaurants to close to restrict the spread of coronavirus.

(Visited 16 times, 1 visits today)
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 6 – Harambee Stars goalkeeper Patrick Matasi is hoping that the airports will be re-opened soon to allow him fly back...

Features

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

AFCON2019

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 11 – ‘Dok skul! Kijana dok skul!’ (Go back to school! Young boy go back to school!’). Those were the words...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved