Police probe latest Mandera Shabaab attack

October 25, 2016 2:59 pm
Shares
North Eastern Regional Commander, Mohamoud Saleh stated that preliminary investigations into the attack have yielded several leads for the police/FILE
North Eastern Regional Commander, Mohamoud Saleh stated that preliminary investigations into the attack have yielded several leads for the police/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 25 – Investigations are underway to determine the source of the Improvised Explosive Device (IED) bomb that exploded at the Boshari Guesthouse in Mandera on Tuesday morning killing 12 people.

In a statement, the North Eastern Regional Commander, Mohamoud Saleh stated that preliminary investigations into the attack have yielded several leads for the police.

“Early this morning, at around 3:30am, an IED bomb exploded at the Boshari Hotel in Mandera town. Part of the building collapsed, killing at least 12 people. Security officers on patrol responded immediately, cordoned the area and began search and rescue operations,” he stated.

Saleh indicated that bomb experts are on site to establish source of the explosive and gather further evidence.

“Preliminary investigations into the attack have so far yielded several leads for the police, and investigations are underway,” he stated.

He gave assurance that all occupants at the hotel have been evacuated and six have been rescued alive from the debris so far.

“Mandera Town, is usually under 24 hour security surveillance, and bomb experts are on site to establish source of the explosive and gather further evidence. The Government of Kenya condemns this act of terror and condoles with families and friends of the bereaved,” he said.

Early this month, six people were killed in Mandera in an attack blamed on Al Shabaab terrorists.

The attack occurred at a village near Bulla Public Works that had a total of 33 non-locals, police said.

The attack was the first in the region in the last one year, authorities said.

The area had been a target for Al Shabaab terrorists who launch attacks mainly targeting passenger buses, often only killing non locals or non-Muslims.

Similar attacks were launched in the past two years, leaving more than 60 people killed in separate incidents.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed