, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 18 – The Ministry of Health has allayed fears that the deadly Ebola fever is in Kenya, saying four patients admitted to the Kenyatta Hospital have tested negative.
Cabinet Secretary James Macharia is urging Kenyans to be calm as the government has increased its surveillance of the haemorrhagic fever.
“I’m glad that we managed to reach a very definite position last week on Saturday on addressing the issue of Ebola and I believe that Kenyans now will calm down and the anxiety which we all had has somehow been mitigated because we have done all that we have to do,” he said.
On Saturday, Kenya announced that it would not allow travellers from Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone which have been hard hit by the outbreak.
Kenya Airways will also suspend operations to Sierra Leone and Liberia from Tuesday.
Macharia said continued screening will be done at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and at the Kenyatta National Hospital and all other public hospitals.
“I saw in the papers some visitors having come into the country having covered themselves with masks… it is not necessary!” he affirmed.
“Having said that, we will continue with our process of ensuring that the screening is done and the assessment has been done so those who travel can be assured that everything which needs to be done has been done.”