Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Africa

Dozens of Muslims ‘massacred’ in Nigeria for refusing to join jihadists, says governor

Blaming Islamist militant group Boko Haram for the killings, President Bola Tinubu deployed an army battalion to the affected area.

Dozens of people have been killed in a ferocious shooting attack on two villages in Nigeria’s western state of Kwara after they refused to “surrender to extremists who preached a strange doctrine”, according to the state’s governor.

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq said on X that “75 local Muslims were massacred” in Tuesday’s raid, while a state lawmaker told the BBC that 78 people had been buried so far and the death toll could rise to an estimated 170 as more corpses were being recovered.

Blaming Islamist militant group Boko Haram for the killings, President Bola Tinubu deployed an army battalion to the affected area.

The assault was one of several across Nigeria in the last few days.

In addition to the killings in the villages of Woro and Nuku, 38 people were abducted while others fled and shops and homes were set alight, said Saidu Baba Ahmed, a member of the Kwara state house of assembly.

Among the dead were two sons of the local traditional leader, who also had family members kidnapped, according to local resident Abdulla Umar Usman.

The attack began after 17:00 local time and last three to four hours, he told the BBC.

Ahmed said that Boko Haram activity had been gradually increasing in the area, saying the attack was triggered by the community’s rejection of a strict interpretation of Islam.

He explained that the Islamist group had written to the community about their arrival, saying they wanted to preach, but residents resisted and deployed local security forces.

Details about the exact number of people who died in the remote area are hard to confirm.

A Red Cross official in Kwara, Babaomo Ayodeji, told AFP that “reports said that the death toll now stands at 162, as the search for more bodies continues”.

Amnesty International said in a statement that over 170 people had died, noting many were shot at close range and some burnt alive.

The human rights group called for an investigation and said there was a “stunning absence of any form of security for the protection of lives”.

In recent months, jihadists – suspected to be from a Boko Haram splinter faction – have been active in Kwara, carrying out targeted killings, often riding in on motorcycles and attacking markets and vigilante groups set up to protect villagers.

In a press release on Wednesday, the state governor said the attack on the two villages was a result of recent counter-terrorism operations in the region.

AbdulRazaq believed it was “apparently to distract the security forces who have successfully hunted down several terrorist and kidnapping gangs”.

Tuesday also saw 21 people being killed in an attack on Doma village in Katsina state in the north, Amnesty said. On the same day 17 people were killed in a series of attacks in the north-eastern Borno state, by suspected Boko Haram militants.

The attacks come alongsidethe first official acknowledgement from Nigeria of an American troop presence since US President Donald Trump ordered the military in November to prepare for action in Nigeria to tackle Islamist militant groups.

Nigerian Defence Minister Chrisopher Musa did not provide any details about the team’s size, arrival date, location or duration of stay.

His comments follow those made on Tuesday by Gen Dagvin Anderson of US Africa Command (Africom), who said the deployment followed a Nigerian request and was focused on intelligence support.

“Our partnership with Nigeria is a great example of a very willing and capable partner who requested the unique capabilities that only the US can bring,” he said.

Nigeria faces an array of security challenges including criminal gangs – known locally as “bandits” who loot and kidnap for ransom – an Islamist insurgency, clashes over land and separatist unrest.

Comments

More on Capital News

Africa

"The anti-corruption bodies exist, complete with gazetted mandates and annual reports,” Ayeni said. “What tends to be absent is something harder to legislate: the...

Africa

PLO Lumumba has condemned rising xenophobic attacks against Africans in South Africa, urging President Cyril Ramaphosa to protect migrants and uphold Pan-African unity.

Africa

The decision was announced by the Nigerian Christian Pilgrim Commission, the national body responsible for coordinating Christian pilgrimages.

Africa

Interpol’s Red Card 2.0 cybercrime crackdown led to 27 arrests in Kenya and over 650 across Africa, dismantling online investment scams, mobile money fraud,...

Africa

Tshwane disconnected electricity to Nigeria’s High Commission over unpaid utility bills before restoring supply after payment, Mayor Nasiphi Moya said.

Africa

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu briefly fell during a reception in Ankara but was unharmed and went on with talks with Turkey’s President Erdoğan.

business

Chinese electric vehicle maker Okla Global has appointed Treadway Investment Bank to spearhead its Africa expansion, with assembly plants planned for Kenya, Nigeria, South...

World

Nigeria's federal government described the latest release as a "moment of triumph and relief", external, after one of the country's worst mass kidnappings.