, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 24 – The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) now says countrywide examinations will continue as scheduled despite alleged leakage of papers this week.
KNEC Chief Executive Joseph Kivilu assured that the examinations are secure, pointing out that the council has ensured that the examinations remain credible.
Kivilu says the council has obtained copies of the alleged leaked papers which were circulated on social media this week and is investigating the possible source.
So far Kivilu says so far 14 teachers, six university students, 25 private candidates and four students have been arrested for their involvement in examination malpractices.
Most of the malpractices involved image copies of questions and examination materials sent via WhatsApp.
“The security monitoring team has recovered over 40 mobile phones from candidates. The team has also recovered exercise books with examination related materials from over 50 candidates,” Kivilu added.
He says that more security officers have been deployed to guard examination materials when they are in transit and at the examination centres.
“I wish to encourage Kenyans to be vigilant so that people involved in these criminal activities are arrested and prosecuted as per the law,” he added.
Over 68 percent of the papers have been done successfully with only 32 percent remaining to be completed on November 5, 2015.
Meanwhile, the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) has blamed increased cases of cheating in national exams on the Executive.
READ: Government blunders to blame for exam cheating – KNUT
In a statement, KNUT Secretary General Wilson Sossion said the arrest of 15 candidates in Mombasa, plus separate arrests of teachers and varsity students for exam fraud was hardly surprising given the government’s refusal to postpone the national examinations on account of the public school teachers’ strike.
“Many students were inadequately prepared for the examinations after the careless handling of a dispute with teachers led to one of the longest strikes ever in our country. The education sector has this year alone, lost seven valuable weeks of learning instruction period. The candidates for KCSE examinations not fully prepared,” Sossion said.
He renewed calls to President Uhuru Kenyatta to fire Education Cabinet Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi on whose doorstep he laid the blame.