, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 13 – Two more victims of Saturday’s night grenade attacks at the Nairobi Country Bus Station succumbed to injuries at the Kenyatta National Hospital on Tuesday, raising the death toll to nine.
“Two more people have died and this raises the death toll to nine. These are some of the people who sustained very serious injuries after the grenade attack,” Kenya Red Cross Spokesman Fred Gori said.
At least 40 other survivors remain admitted to the country’s largest referral hospital.
The attacks occurred when four hand grenades were hurled at crowds from a speeding station wagon vehicle near the congested bus terminus.
Police said they were also investigating reports that at least three gunshots may have been fired in quick succession during the deadly attacks.
“There are many people who have recorded statements and they are giving different versions of what transpired; there are those who have reported having heard gunshots,” a police officer involved in the investigation told Capital News.
“Other than the grenade attacks, some have said gunshots were heard. These are some of the issues we are looking into,” the officer added.
No cartridges were found at the scene of the blasts, but shrapnel from the grenades had been recovered.
Police have been interrogating four people, including Sylvester Opiyo aka Musa Osodo who has been on a terror watch list since last December when his photograph was circulated alongside that of another man – both described at the time as “dangerous men.” He handed himself in and was set free.
Opiyo was arrested on Sunday alongside three minors.
The suspects were locked up until Monday when they were set free and ordered to report back to the anti terrorism police unit on Tuesday.
Chacha Mwita, a lawyer representing the four suspects told Capital News that his clients were interrogated on Tuesday for seven hours and released at 4.30 pm. They were again ordered back to the ATPU on Friday.
Numerous interviews with police officers privy to the ongoing investigation have revealed that the anti terrorism police detectives do not have water tight evidence to present any of the suspects in court.
No official statement has been issued from Police Headquarters or any of the police units investigating Saturday’s blast.