Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital Business
Capital Business

World

GMAC unlikely to meet bank requirements

CHICAGO, December 10 – GMAC, the troubled former financial arm of General Motors, said Wednesday it is unlikely to meet regulatory requirements to become a bank, meaning deeper woes for the debt-strapped firm.

GMAC said it has received an inadequate response from its bondholders for an offer to exchange the debt for capital in order to meet Federal Reserve requirements to become a bank holding company.

It made the application this year to become a federally regulated bank holding company in a move which would give it access to a share of a 700 billion dollar government bailout package.

"The Federal Reserve has informed GMAC that if GMAC is unable to meet these capital requirements, it will not approve GMAC\’s application to become a bank holding company," GMAC said.

As a result, GMAC said it would probably withdraw its application, leading to a more precarious situation.

"If GMAC is unable to successfully convert to a bank holding company … it would have a near-term material adverse effect on GMAC\’s business, results of operations, and financial position," the company said in a statement.

A 51 percent stake in the company is owned by Cerberus Capital Management, the private equity owner of Chrysler LLC, with the remaining 49 percent held by GM.

The news comes as the ailing automakers are awaiting word on an emergency 15-billion-dollar government loan to avert collapse.

GMAC, which diversified beyond auto loans into mortgages, commercial lending, insurance and online banking, has been badly hit by the subprime lending crisis and resulting credit crunch.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The financial firm, which is aiming to restructure its debt of 38 billion dollars, posted a net third-quarter loss of 2.5 billion a month ago, citing "adverse market conditions domestically and internationally" especially in its mortgage business, operated under a unit called ResCap.

GMAC said bondholders so far have agreed to exchange 6.3 billion dollars in its old debt and 2.0 billion of its ResCap debt for capital, far below the 30 billion dollars it needs.

The central bank would require GMAC to hold 30 billion dollars in regulatory capital to become a bank, according to company officials.

That would require an exchange of some 75 percent of its outstanding bond debt.

The move to become a regulated bank would enable GMAC to have its debt guaranteed by a federal banking insurance program, to get cheap, short-term loans from the Federal Reserve and to sell some of its bad loans to the government.

Click to comment
Advertisement

More on Capital Business

Executive Lifestyle

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 12 – The country’s super wealthy individuals are increasing their holding of bonds, gold and cash, a new report by Knight...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 9 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi has urged members of the public to exercise extreme caution when making any...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 24 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi is set to own half of Centum Investment Company PLC, following a go-ahead...

Headlines

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Commercial Banks have been ordered to provide relief to borrowers on their personal loans, with loans eligible from March...

Ask Kirubi

It is without a doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic has caught the whole world by surprise. Although its full impact is yet to be...

Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun17 – Kenya’s tea leaves manufacturer Kericho Gold, has been awarded the Superbrands Seal by Superbrands East Africa for their quality variety...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 13 – As the local telecommunications industry gears up to roll out 5G networks in the country, the Communications Authority of...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 22 – Airtel Kenya is offering free internet access for students in order to enable continued learning at home in the...