NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 4 – There was a fire at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) Wednesday night that disrupted operations briefly at Terminal 1C before services were moved elsewhere.
The fire is said to have been caused by a conveyor belt at the baggage hall in Terminal 1C, but police say it was quickly put out.
The terminal has since been temporarily closed and flight operations moved to Terminal 1B.
“Kenya Airports Authority would like to confirm that at about 2344HRS last night, we had a minor fire incident at JKIA Terminal 1C, check-in counters 7 and 8 caused by a malfunction of the baggage handling system,” a statement from the Kenya Airports Authority stated.
“All passengers and staff in Terminal 1C were safely evacuated and the situation contained by the Airport’s Fire Response Team. No injuries were reported during the incident,” it pointed out.
The Authority assured all passengers, other airport users and the general public that “we are working to ensure the terminal is reopened for use as soon as possible and will keep the public informed of any further developments.”