, NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 7 – President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday launched the National Strategy to Counter Violent Extremism (NCVE) to help coordinate existing efforts put in place to fight terrorism.
Speaking at State House Nairobi, the President said the strategy will incorporate aspects of rehabilitating foreign fighters engaged in fighting terror groups.
“This NCVE strategy will rally all parts of government, communities, civil society, the private sector as well as our international partners. One of the crucial tasks being built on this strategy is the disengagement and rehabilitation of returning foreign terrorist fighters who completely disavow the use of violence and any adherence to the ideology and aims of terrorist groups,” he explained.
He appointed Ambassador Martin Kimani who is the Director of the National Counter Terrorism Centre as the special envoy for countering violent extremism.
Through the Operation Linda Nchi (Protect the Nation) Kenya Defence Forces soldiers crossed into Somalia in mid October 2011 to respond to activities of the Al Shabaab terrorists who were accused of kidnapping several people, including foreigners from Kenya.
Since then, Kenya has been sending its troops to Somalia to join the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) to fight Al Shabaab terrorists blamed for series of attacks that Kenya has continued to receive.
“In their quest to change the course of humanity, they have committed unspeakable atrocities, murdering tens of thousands of innocent people on every continent, imposing a state of terror on populations within their control, and even re-instituting the evil practice of enslavement in the 21st Century,” he said.
Due to Kenya’s proximity to the terror infested country and terrorists’ evil interests of harming the country, the ripple effects have also been radicalisation of youth to join terror groups.
The Government of Kenya with support from NGOs, the civil society and foreign missions has established various programmes and units to counter terrorism and address radicalisation.
“In response, my administration has launched an unprecedented multi-agency security operation. Investments have been made in technology, skills, and innovating new approaches to countering terrorism,” he explained.
According to President Kenyatta, the National NCVE strategy launched on Wednesday will coordinate the existing efforts to double the country’s capacity to prevent and counter terrorism activities.
“I am confident that this strategy we have launched today is a critical step in protecting and advancing the liberty and prosperity of all our people in Kenya, our region and indeed our international community,” he emphasised.