, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 22 – The British High Commission in Kenya on Thursday said it did not order its nationals to be evacuated from Kenya.
In a statement, the High Commission said its latest travel advice was against all but essential travel to a specific part of the area around Mombasa.
“The British Government does not enforce its travel advice. It is for individuals and travel companies to make their own decisions about foreign travel advice and information available from other sources into account,” the mission said.
The High Commission said it was the responsibility of the British Government to give advice to its citizens after assessing the security situation.
“The UK has a responsibility to inform British citizens of the potential threats aimed at both Kenya and the international community. Our travel advice reflects solely our objective assessment of the security position. It is kept under constant review.”
It clarified that it was up to individuals or travel agencies to decide the next course of action after getting the travel warnings.
“Some British tourists flew out of Mombasa last week on the advice of their tour company, following their decision to discontinue their charter flights to the area.”
Last week, Britain, Australia, the US and France were reported to have issued travel advisories to their citizens.
The tourism sector said Kenya would lose Sh5 billion between now and October after holiday cancellations.
The industry said more than 30 hotels have already been closed in the coast affecting about 100,000 employees.
The Kenyan Government slammed the travel advisories describing the warnings as ‘unfriendly acts coming from partners who have borne the brunt of global terrorism.’
In a statement, Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho pointed out that the advisories only serve to spread fear and panic in the country.
He indicated that the countries which issued the latest travel bans should understand repercussions of terror.