, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 15 – Human Rights activist Ken Wafula on Thursday asked police investigators to invite Deputy President William Ruto’s lawyer Karim Khan to record a statement over his assertions on the body believed to be of International Criminal Court (ICC) witness Meshack Yebei.
According to Wafula, Khan should tell the police what made him to request for investigations over the body.
“The investigators also need to invite Khan to Kenya so that he can record a statement,” he said.
Khan in his letter requesting for an investigation asked the government to uncover the circumstances under which the ‘defence witness’ died.
Wafula said he had recorded a statement and requested Khan to do as well so as he seemed to have more information that could aid the ongoing police investigations.
“Did Karim Khan see Yebei when he was alive, does he know something about his disappearance? He did not view the body both at Kapsabet and at the hospital, he was away but he insisted that all of us must be sure the body is Meshack’s. On what basis was he giving this caution,” he queried.
Wafula further insisted that the body in question belonged to Yebei and not Yusuf Hassan.
He said Yebei being a Nandi underwent the community’s rite of passage explaining it was one of the features that made him and Yebei’s family believe the body is not Hassan’s as claimed by police on Wednesday.
“We need more physical examination and more background on Yusuf Hassan. Was he circumcised through the Nandi circumcision rites? When a Nandi man is circumcised there is a feature that is different from other communities. Yebei’s brothers have examined and found it is there. The challenge is for the Hassan’s family to tell us how he was circumcised,” Wafula explained.
On Tuesday, the family of Hassan said the body belonged to them and told the police that they had not bothered to report that he was missing as they thought he was in Nairobi visiting relatives.
Meanwhile, DNA samples of the Hassan’s family arrived at the government chemist in Nairobi on Thursday for further tests to establish if the body at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in Eldoret belongs to Hassan.
John Kariuki who is the head of the investigation team in Eldoret told Capital FM News that he wouldn’t know when the DNA results would be out as it was now in the hands of the government chemist.
“The samples have already been submitted to the laboratory in Nairobi. From there I cannot confirm to you when results will be ready only the government chemist can confirm that,” he explained.
However, other reports indicated that the DNA results would be out by Tuesday.
Kariuki described the investigation that has changed its focus from the initial assumption that the mutilated body found on Yala River on December 28 last year belonged to Yebei as ‘sensitive’.
He explained that investigations were ongoing to uncover the puzzle behind the death that has sparked controversy after the second family on Tuesday identified the body.
The family of Yusuf Hassan wants to be allowed to go on with the burial arrangements after the expected DNA results confirm the body belongs to their relative.
Yebei’s family members on the other hand are waiting for DNA results they sent to South Africa alongside the government’s results to confirm if the body belongs to them.