Death toll in Nairobi building collapse hits 7

December 18, 2014 3:51 pm
Shares

,

A total of five bodies were pulled out of the rubble on Thursday: three male and two female/CFM
A total of five bodies were pulled out of the rubble on Thursday: three male and two female/CFM
NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 18 – The death toll in the Makongeni building collapse has risen to seven after one of those admitted to the Kenyatta National Hospital succumbed to his injuries.

A total of five bodies were pulled out of the rubble on Thursday: three male and two female.

“We pulled one lady out at 0100 hours and two gentlemen at 5.40am this morning,” Kenya Red Cross Nairobi County Manager Michael Aiyabei told Capital FM News.

A woman and a man were later pulled out of the rubble, one after the other, at about 1.20pm and 2.10pm respectively.

A woman rescued from the rubble on Wednesday morning was declared dead on arrival at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH).

Of the 10 rescued and transported to the KNH, eight were outpatient cases and one remains admitted.

And as of early Thursday evening, 14 of 27 reported missing remained unaccounted for.

The Kenya Defence Forces led the search and retrieval operation on Thursday with the National Youth Service offering support.

Despite an earlier estimation that the exercise would be concluded at 2pm on Thursday, Lieutenant Colonel Joel Cherutich said progress was slow because the ground was not stable enough for their heavy equipment as the area had been a swamp.

He said they also wanted to retrieve the bodies in the best possible condition.

Meanwhile the police, county government and public administration were unable to confirm as of Thursday afternoon exactly who the owner of the collapsed building is and where they can be found.

“We have some names from county records, the tenants’ electricity bills and statements but we’re yet to verify the information,” Assistant County Commander I Buxton Mayabi told Capital FM News.

The County Government however marked for demolition surrounding buildings on the grounds that their plans had not received approval from them.

The five-storey residential building in Makongeni came down at 3am on Wednesday due to what officials say was ground instability and poor construction that should never have taken place had the proper channels been followed.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed