, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 6 – Two suspects linked to the twin blasts in Mombasa that left three people dead and 23 injured at the weekend are being held by the police.
Mombasa CID boss Henry Ondiek stated that the two who are Somalis of Kenyan and Canadian origin were picked up from a hotel in Nyali where a second explosion had been reported.
He explained that they are being interrogated by anti-terrorism police officers following the blast at the Reef Hotel and Mwembe Tayari bus stage.
“The kind of IEDs that were used have the same material resemblance that makes us believe that maybe the assemblers of both devices are one person or people belonging to the same group,” he stated.
Ondeik pointed out that they are investigating the correlation in the blasts that were carried out simultaneously.
“We are holding certain suspects of Somali origin who booked themselves at the Reef Hotel. They are assisting us with our investigations and we are not through with them. They have certain evidence on themselves that tends to raise more questions than answers,” he indicated.
Meanwhile police have released records of two suspects who died in the blast that indicates that one of them had been arrested at the Musa mosque while his colleague served jail time at Shimo la Tewa.
At least 18 victims of the Mwembe Tayari blast were treated and discharged from the Coast General Hospital.
Eight patients are still admitted at the hospital, one in ICU but in stable condition.
County Health Director Khadija Shikely said the doctors and nurses at the institution worked their best to ensure no life was lost after the incident.
She has also said they have waived hospital bills for the victims of the attack.