, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 14 – The government has said it will release Sh6bn meant for Free Primary and Secondary Education programmes before the end of this week.
Of this amount, Sh4billion will go to secondary schools and Sh2billion to primary schools, according to the Principal Secretary for Education Belio Kipsang.
“The payments will be made before the end of this week. We have received assurance from the Treasury that we shall have the money before end of the week,” he said.
In addition, the Cabinet Secretary for Education Jacob Kaimenyi also said measures had been put place ahead of the national exams across the country.
“With the issue of Westgate, we must be cognizant of the security in all schools; we are working closely with our counterparts in the Ministry of Internal Security,” he affirmed.
To improve the country’s education standards, the Cabinet Secretary says all appointments in education departments will be competitive.
He also says they will reflect the regional and ethnic diversity of the country.
“The constitution provision is very clear on appointments so that all communities in the country can feel part of the leadership and governance of this nation,” he said.
He added; “I need to mention that we must achieve the value of 30 percent of procurement sourced from youth, women and persons with disabilities.”
All head of departments in the Education Ministry were asked to ensure State resources were effectively used in development of the sector in the country.
“Public resources are scarce and therefore prudent and efficient utilisation must be adhered to. The government will not tolerate misuse of public funds. Indeed, I have made a commitment in each of your contracts to ensure those suspected of corrupt practices are dealt with according to the law,” he warned.
“Yes, Corruption fights back. But don’t feat it. Together we must succeed.”