Abandoned briefcase causes scare in Nairobi street

July 26, 2012 2:07 pm
Shares
Officers from the Bomb Disposal squad were called in to open the briefcase that had been left at the GPO bus stop/CFM

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 26 – An abandoned briefcase caused a scare on Nairobi’s Kenyatta Avenue on Thursday as pedestrians and security agents suspected it may contain an explosive following looming terror threats.

Officers from the Bomb Disposal squad were called in to open the briefcase that had been left at the GPO bus stop.

They moved the briefcase to a nearby car park where they cordoned off the area before forcing it open.

But after opening it, they discovered the briefcase only contained documents.

“I saw a brief case just lying here at the bus stop and got very scared. Nowadays one is never sure with all the insecurity that has engulfed the country,” Peter Mwangi, an eyewitness, said.

This comes in the wake of renewed Al-Shabaab terror threats during this Ramadhan period.

Nairobi Provincial Police chief Anthony Kibuchi had on July 20 said they had received a terror threat from the Al-Shabaab to hit during the Holy month of Ramadhan.

“Al Shabaab terrorists have issued threats that they will carry out massive destruction during the month of Ramadhan,” Kibuchi said.

He urged Kenyans to be on a high alert.

“Let everybody be extra alert,” he added.

He had also urged the public to remain calm as security will be intensified.

“Security has been intensified mainly in Nairobi, Mombasa and border towns where the terrorists are targeting,” Kibuchi said.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed