, THE HAGUE, Jul 17 – The Prosecutor of the International Criminal (ICC) Court Luis Moreno-Ocampo has finally opened the envelope containing names of key suspects of last year’s post-election violence.
A statement from Mr Moreno-Ocampo’s office says he examined the content of the envelope and resealed it on Thursday evening.
"The content of the envelope will remain confidential, there will be no leaks," the Prosecutor said.
He also received six boxes containing documents and supporting materials compiled by the Commission of Inquiry into the Post-Election Violence, commonly referred to as the Waki Commission at The Hague.
All the material, according to the ICC statement, was then stored in a secure vault where it will remain until Mr Moreno-Ocampo starts preliminary investigations.
“My Office will continue the collection of information, and I will reach an impartial conclusion as to whether or not to investigate those individuals or others, or none," he said.
The material was handed over to the ICC by Chief Mediator Kofi Annan who had held onto it for a year, waiting for Kenya to set up a Special Tribunal to try those who participated in the post election chaos.
"There is a consensus that there will be no impunity for the crimes that have been committed," the Prosecutor stressed. “This is the only way to prevent the commission of new crimes during the next elections." he said. "The main responsibility now lies with the Kenyan government."
Fresh efforts to set up a local tribunal hit a snag on Tuesday after the Cabinet disagreed on a proposal presented by Justice and Constitutional Affairs Minister Mutula Kilonzo.
Another meeting is scheduled for Monday.
The Waki Commission has recommended that Kenya sets up a Special Tribunal that will include some international experts to try cases of post election violence.
Failure by the government to set up such a court, the Commission stated, the Kenya case should be handled by the International Criminal Court.