NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 10 – The government says it has enough funds to support the free education program.
Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Finance Joseph Kinyua reassured on Tuesday that the government had not changed its policy to support the Free Primary and Secondary Education programs but explained that there was a two week delay in disbursement of the programs funds for last month.
“It’s true we have been having a lot of demand on the exchequer as a result of the famine and there was a slight oversight on the disbursement of these funds,” Mr Kinyua said, adding that the funds had now been released to the Ministry of Education.
Previous indications were that the government had delayed the disbursement of Sh10 billion needed for the program due to the fact that it had spent the money to import maize to cater for the on-going food shortage
Meanwhile, Mr Kinyua revealed that the Supplementary Budget should be ready by early April when Parliament resumes.
“We are working on the final elements which will reflect how we have worked it out to ensure that resources go where they are needed most,” he said.
Among the priorities in the budget will include funds for the famine initiative which requires Sh37 billion.
“We are trying to rationalise that amount because it’s a lot of money, but what the Kenya government is likely to spend is Sh15 billion while Sh13 billion will come through the World Food Programme,” Mr Kinyua said.
He further denied claims that the government was broke.
“Government can never get broke, its people like you and me who can get broke,” he said.