Google told to pay $425m in privacy lawsuit - Capital Business
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Google is set to mark its 20th anniversary with an event in San Francisco devoted to the future of online search/AFP

Technology

Google told to pay $425m in privacy lawsuit

SEPT 4 – A US federal court has told Google to pay $425m (£316.3m) for breaching users’ privacy by collecting data from millions of users even after they had turned off a tracking feature in their Google accounts.

The verdict comes after a group of users brought the case claiming Google accessed users’ mobile devices to collect, save and use their data, in violation of privacy assurances in its Web & App Activity setting.

They had been seeking more than $31bn in damages.

“This decision misunderstands how our products work, and we will appeal it. Our privacy tools give people control over their data, and when they turn off personalisation, we honour that choice,” a Google spokesperson told the BBC.

The jury in the case found the internet search giant liable to two of three claims of privacy violations but said the firm had not acted with malice.

The class action lawsuit, covering about 98 million Google users and 174 million devices, was filed in July 2020.

Google says that when users turn off Web & App Activity in their account, businesses using Google Analytics may still collect data about their use of sites and apps but that this information does not identify individual users and respects their privacy choices.

Separately this week, shares in Google’s parent company Alphabet jumped by more than 9% on Wednesday after a US federal judge ruled that it would not have to sell its Chrome web browser but must share information with competitors.

The remedies decided by District Judge Amit Mehta emerged after a years-long court battle over Google’s dominance in online search.

The case centred on Google’s position as the default search engine on a range of its own products such as Android and Chrome as well as others made by the likes of Apple.

The US Department of Justice had demanded that Google sell Chrome – Tuesday’s decision means the tech giant can keep it but it will be barred from having exclusive contracts and must share search data with rivals.

By BBC

Visited 73 times, 1 visit(s) today

More on Capital Business

World

In 2024, the US Securities and Exchange Commission had accused the Adanis of paying bribes to Indian officials for high-profile renewable energy projects and...

Technology

Overall, the evaluations of the AI tools will cover "testing, collaborative research and best practice development related to commercial AI systems."

Technology

Musk's compensation reflects the firm's estimate of what he would earn should he meet the terms of an astronomical pay deal approved by Tesla...

Health

Data Commissioner Immaculate Kassait said the hospital violated data protection principles by mishandling and incorrectly sharing a patient’s medical results.

Technology

A jury found that Meta, which owns Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, was liable for the way in which its platforms endangered children and exposed...

Kenya

Cytonn, which filed the lawsuit in 2021, accused the two of making remarks during an interview aired on NTV’s YouTube channel and issuing a...

Aviation

The class action lawsuit was made on behalf of passengers whose flights were cancelled by the carrier between 2020 and 2022 and received travel...

World

The deal was announced by the Federal Trade Commission and a group of 11 states, of leaving the drivers on its Spark Driver app...