Govt halts Sh468bn Nairobi–Mombasa Expressway project - Capital Business
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Naivasha highway./COURTESY

Kenya

Govt halts Sh468bn Nairobi–Mombasa Expressway project

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 12 – The government has terminated plans for the construction of the Sh468 billion Nairobi–Mombasa Expressway, citing failure by the project to meet the evaluation criteria under Kenya’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Act, 2021.

The proposed 459-kilometre toll road — dubbed the Nairobi-Mombasa (Usahihi) Expressway — was to be developed by American private equity firm Everstrong Capital Kenya under a Design, Build, Finance, Operate, Maintain and Transfer (DBFOMT) model.

In its 54th ordinary meeting held on July 2, 2025, the PPP Committee of the National Treasury’s Economic Planning Department resolved to abandon the project, ruling that it “does not meet the relevant criteria” for approval.

“The PPP Committee, National Treasury Economic Planning, delivered its decision during its 54 Ordinary PPP Committee mecting held on 2″ July, 2025 to the effect that the Committee determined that the proposal does not meet the relevant criteria and should be abandoned in accordance with Section 43(11)(c) of the PPP Act,2021,” reads the notice in part.
Instead, the committee directed KeNHA to restructure the plan into an expansion of the existing A8 highway, which connects Nairobi to Mombasa.

It was expected to link Mlolongo in Machakos County to Bonje in Mombasa County, providing a faster and more efficient alternative to the busy A8 highway.

According to a disclosure by the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA), the proposal had earlier received conditional approval to proceed to the Project Development Phase (PDP), during which feasibility studies were conducted and submitted in May 2025.

The expressway had been touted as a major infrastructure milestone that would significantly reduce travel time and costs between Nairobi and the port city, while boosting trade and tourism along the corridor.

Its cancellation shifts the government’s focus towards upgrading the current highway.
KeNHA, in its public notice, reiterated its commitment to adhering to the PPP Act, 2021, and assured the public of transparency in all its infrastructure undertakings.

The government also maintained that it remains committed to delivering critical road projects to enhance connectivity across the country.

The cancellation comes amid heightened scrutiny of mega infrastructure projects, with emphasis on financial viability, compliance with legal frameworks, and value for money for taxpayers.

Visited 317 times, 1 visit(s) today

More on Capital Business

Kenya

Carbon markets allow countries and companies to earn or buy credits that represent emissions reductions, giving them a mechanism to offset their carbon output.

Kenya

The awards aim to recognize Somali-led enterprises and professionals driving growth in sectors including business, finance, telecommunications, healthcare, education, logistics, energy, real estate, manufacturing,...

Africa

The figure represents a 5.9 percent increase from the 391,128 units exported in 2024, according to the latest quarterly review released Tuesday by the...

Banks

The lobby group said the proposed tax cut would put more cash into workers’ pockets at a time when high cost‑of‑living pressures and rising...

Kenya

The exhibition is expected to attract more than 5,000 stakeholders, including manufacturers, technology providers, investors, and policymakers. Exhibitors will showcase equipment and solutions that...

Banks

The bank announced a Sh2 million sponsorship towards the 5th Annual Leaders’ Summit organized by the Kenya Teachers SACCOs Association.

World

The European Commission (EC), the EU's executive arm, said it will examine what systems the Chinese firm has in place to prevent the sale...

Kenya

Under the proposed framework, users will send their identification document number to a dedicated short code, prompting a system-wide search across all licensed mobile...