Four attackers, wielding automatic rifles, with ammunition bags strapped on their backs were captured by CCTV cameras, as they walked up and down in the expansive mall while conversing and laughing about while gesturing at one another. One can be seen kicking a mini computer on a teller in the Nakumatt Supermaket.
Security forces have been able to profile the attackers Captured by the CCTV cameras, and identified them as notorious terror suspects who were on their wanted persons list.
One of them is Abu Baraal Al Sudani, a Somali extremist with links to Al Qaeda, who is known to be a sharp shooter.
In the CCTV, Al Sudani is clearly seen in a Khaki cream trouser, a dark blue or black jacket, white sports shoes and an ammunition bag around his waist.
Another attacker seen in the CCTV in Omar Nabhan who is thought to have been born and brought up in Mombasa before moving out to Somalia for training.
On the day of the attack, the man believed to be Nabhan who was also carrying a rifle was wore a sky blue shirt and what appears to be brown pair of trousers with a head scarf.
The third attacker identified by security forces so far is a man thought to be Khatab Al Khane who was initially based in Mogadishu.
He is described by police as an extremist who has substantial knowledge of using explosives and all types of rifles. The CCTV footage released to the media is carefully edited to extract unsuitable images, including the real action when the attackers were shooting and tossing grenades at shoppers in the mall.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo says they have since established that the number of attackers who took part in the October 21 siege were between four to six and not ten to fifteen as earlier reported by investigators.
“From what we have now that is coming out of the investigation, the number of attackers was between four to six,” police Chief David Kimaiyo told Kenyan television station KTN.
“None of them managed to escape from the building after the attack,” he said, implying that they were killed in the confrontation.
During the four-day siege authorities had said that between 10 and 15 gunmen were involved, and later claimed to have killed five of them. 67 civilians and six security forces were also killed in the confrontation with the attackers.
Witnesses in the mall described how the fighters stormed the complex midday on that Saturday when it was crowded with shoppers, firing from the hip and hurling grenades at shoppers and staff.
CCTV camera footage from one part of the mall showed only four young men ambling around with AK-47 rifles in hand.
Kimaiyo also confirmed that wanted British “White Widow” Samantha Lewthwaite — reported to have been one of the attackers — was not involved.
“On Samantha we have also established that she was not part of the attackers in the building. There was no woman.”
President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced plans to establish a commission of inquiry to probe the attack.