Online video platform YouTube has temporarily demonetised the channel of beauty influencer James Charles.
Earlier this month, the popular Youtuber admitted to sending sexually explicit messages to two 16-year-old boys.
According to BBC, YouTube confirmed that the 21-year-old – who has 25 million subscribers to his YouTube channel – had been temporarily removed from their Partnership Program.
A YouTube spokesperson said the company had applied their creator responsibility policy, which states: “If we see that a creator’s on- and/or off-platform behaviour harms our users, community, employees or ecosystem, we may take action to protect the community.”
In the video, James Charles admitted to two incidents – one last year and one more recently – where, he said, he had become aware that the person he was exchanging messages with was underage.
The video has been viewed more than 8.5 million times. Mr Charles said on Friday that further accusations had been made that were false.
This is the second company to re-evaluate its partnership with the influencer. Cosmetics company Morphe recently announced the end of their partnership with James Charles.
Last month, YouTube demonetised the account of David Dobrik, one of the website’s top earners, following a rape allegation about a former associate.