Teen Accused Of Murder Of Moi Girls Students Denies Charges - The Sauce
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital Campus

Teen Accused Of Murder Of Moi Girls Students Denies Charges

Symbol of law and justice in the empty courtroom law and justice concept blue toned.

A student suspected of starting a fire that led to the death of nine of her colleagues at the Moi Girls Secondary School in Nairobi was Wednesday charged at the Milimani Law Courts.

Presiding Judge Luka Kimaru however directed that the proceedings be held in-camera in the interest of the minor’s right to privacy in accordance with Section 186 (g) of the Children Act. The minor however denied charges levelled against her with family lawyer Stanley Kang’ahi making an application for her release on bail pending the hearing and determination of the case.

Following the application, the judge directed the accused to appear before the court on Friday when the he will make a determination whether or not a cash bail of Sh200,000 will be allowed.

On Wednesday last week, the prosecution had asked for 10 days to consolidate evidence before preferring charges against the 14-year-old girl. The children’s court in which she was first produced at the time granting the State a week to conclude investigations.

Her arraignment in court came a day after the nine victims of the arson attack were positively identified following DNA tests conducted on their remains at the University of Nairobi’s Chiromo Mortuary.

“Indeed, all results are out today and the procedure here is that we are taking them (parents and relatives) through psychosocial support and counselling and thereafter each family will be allowed to see their loved ones as each name has been matched with a body after the DNA test and all have been identified,” National Management Disaster Unit Deputy Director Pius Masai stated on Tuesday.

The inferno at a dormitory also left 16 students hospitalized with varying levels of burns.

READ: High School Students Discharged After Recovering From School Inferno Burns

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

An affidavit produced at the Children’s Court on Wednesday last week by the Milimani DCIO Phylis Kanina suggested that the minor, who has been codenamed T.W.G in court papers, was arrested on Tuesday at her parent’s home in possession of a Tecno mobile phone which was at the centre of investigations by the police.

Among leads detectives were pursuing were chats contained in the minor’s WhatsApp messaging application which police sources said offered useful information that could help the prosecution secure a conviction. According to Kanina’s affidavit, a laptop was also recovered at the home, investigative officers believed to have mined as much information as they could to help solidify the case.

The family lawyer assured the court of the accused person’s safety in the custody of her mother also stating that she will continue to cooperate with the court during her trial.

This article was first published on Capital News.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Some More Sauce...

Entertainment

Kenyan female music collaborations seldom happen, but when they do, more often than not are pure works of art. Such is the case with...

Featured

Kenyan media personality Fareed Khimani shared profound insights from his ongoing journey to sobriety. After years of battling drug and alcohol addiction, the popular...

Da Squeeze

Teyana Taylor secretly filed for divorce from Iman Shumpert a year ago – and accused him of allegedly “treating her cruelly and displaying extreme...

Entertainment

Megan Thee Stallion says she is done with sex.  The 28-year-old rapper appears to still be reeling over her break-up with her ex Pardison...

Entertainment

South Africa’s Kamo Mphela is a rising force in the Amapiano scene known for her infectious dance moves. According to South African media outlet...

Entertainment

Beyoncé has been helped by her six-year-old daughter Rumi to release a preview of her upcoming concert film.  The ‘Queen Bey’ singer, 42, is...

Entertainment

Enrique Iglesias will stop making new albums after his next LP. The ‘Hero’ hitmaker is preparing for the release of ‘Final (Vol 2)’ in...

Entertainment

Tyler, The Creator calls for an end to Friday release dates for new music. The 32-year-old rapper has hit out at the idea of...