Kevin Hart just announced he will no longer be hosting the 2019 Oscars.
The comedian and actor took to Twitter to announce the prestigious hosting gig earlier this week. He has had to step down as some old Tweets resurfaced online, which branded him as a “homophobe”. According to CNN, “Kevin Hart is stepping down from hosting the Oscars after homophobic tweets surfaced on Thursday. The tweets, between 2009 and 2011, included derogatory language referring to gay people” and stirred outrage from the LGBTQ community. The Academy gave Hart an ultimatum, to either apologize for the old tweets or step down and give up the Oscar host opportunity.
Hart took to the gram, immediately the tweets surface to defend his position on the tweets that he wrote years ago. Kevin posted, “My team calls me, ‘Oh my God, Kevin, everyone’s upset by tweets you did years ago,’” he said in that video. “Guys, I’m nearly 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify the past, do you. I’m the wrong guy, man.”
Kevin Hart has since taken to Instagram to address his fans over their disappointment since he issued a statement stepping down from the opportunity to host. Many still remain unsure if it was a good decision for the “Night School” actor to let go of the opportunity so easily. And to that, he said, ” I am at peace.”
Many questions who will be picked to host the Oscars after Hart’s scandal. But it is safe to say your guess is as good as mine.