Akilah Net is an online talent marketplace that connects employers and professionals
across Africa. A for‐profit social enterprise, Akilah Net was designed for the African
marketplace by the team of professionals behind the Akilah Institute . Our mission is to
connect employers to talented job seekers, simplifying the hiring process and making it
easier for people to find great jobs.
In January 2015, we launched the first phase of Akilah Net: An online career magazine with over
20 contributors who cover topics such as technology, startups, innovation, and career
development in Africa. We receive tens of thousands of visitors each month and have built an
audience of African professionals eager for content about business development.
The second phase of Akilah Net ‐‐ a job platform and Applicant Tracking System ‐‐ will launch in
September 2015. The job platform will allow job seekers to quickly create a professional profile
and find and apply for exciting career opportunities in Africa aligned with their skills and
interests. The Applicant Tracking System will enable employers to easily screen, filter, and
manage a large volume of applicants.
Akilah Net seeks an ambitious university student or recent graduate with a journalism or
communications background to spearhead our social media strategy and contribute to editorial
content on the site.
As an important part of the Akilah Net team, the Editorial Fellow will build brand awareness
among young professionals, job seekers, and hiring managers in East Africa through social
media, compelling stories, and creative job opportunity listings. This is a part‐time position (20
hours per week) based in a Nairobi coworking space.
The Ideal Candidate
You are passionate about startups and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You are an
exceptional writer and a social media savant. You have an eagle editing eye, a nose for unique
story ideas, and an affinity for the Oxford comma.
You get excited about the power and possibility of building out a strong social media strategy,
developing engaging career‐oriented content, and connecting with movers and shakers in East
Africa’s business community.
● Spearhead Akilah Net’s social media strategy
● Provide content for Akilah Net’s social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
● Engage regularly with social media influencers
● Help manage large‐scale social media campaigns
● Write articles for Akilah Net, including a weekly roundup of the top job opportunities
● Conduct interviews with high‐profile businesspeople
● Assist with copy editing on occasion
● 3+ years of proven experience in journalism, communications, content management,
and/or social media community management (university‐level experience included)
● Familiarity with WordPress
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required
● Active online presence and familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter)
● Willingness to commit 20 hours per week to Akilah Net
This is an exciting time to join a quickly growing startup in a position that has lots of potential to
turn into a full‐time job.
Rest assured you won’t be fetching coffee or transcribing the day away. You’ll help devise a
robust social media strategy, write and research stories, and connect with young professionals
and influencers in East Africa’s hottest career fields.
If you’re looking to gain hands‐on social media and editorial experience, you’ll find it here.
Akilah Net provides:
● Coworking space in Nairobi (TBD)
● College credit
● Hands‐on experience in social media (including strategic decision‐making and planning)
● High‐profile clips
● Recommendation letters (based on performance)
TO APPLY: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with three clips, a link to one of your social media
profiles, a cover letter (addressed to Lauren Everitt), and CV/resume.