South Africa has apologised to Nigeria over a spate of xenophobic attacks which led to a spike in tensions between the two countries.
Twelve people were killed earlier this month when mobs attacked foreign-owned businesses, mainly in Johannesburg.
A special envoy from South Africa presented an apology to Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday (16.09.19). The envoy, Jeff Radebe, expressed the country’s “sincerest apologies” at a meeting in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.
“The incident does not represent what we stand for,” he said, adding that South African police would “leave no stone unturned” in bringing those involved to justice.
“President Buhari responded to profuse apologies from the South African president, pledging that the relationship between the two countries will be solidified,” a statement from his office said.
No Nigerians were killed in the violence in South Africa, but Nigerian-owned shops and businesses are believed to have been targeted by the mobs. Of the 12 people who were killed, 10 are reported to have been South African nationals and two were from Zimbabwe.
Nigeria has been outspoken in its condemnation of the violence. A fortnight ago, it withdrew a delegation from a major international conference taking place in South Africa.
While the diplomatic mission is taking place, Nigeria has continued to evacuate its citizens from the country. More than 300 Nigerians are expected to arrive in Lagos on Tuesday. Last week, 188 evacuees arrived back.
As reported by The Sauce, the continent’s biggest names like Burna Boy, Ycee, AKA ad Sho Madjozi weighed in the matter, that has transcended political realms morphing into much more.