Popular Kenyan rapper Octopizzo has taken the Kenya Television Network (KTN) to court for linking him to the death of a 19-year-old university student.
Octopizzo is suing the TV station, owned by Standard Group over a story that broke in January 2019. The said story accused the Number Nane rapper of being involved in the mysterious death of 19-year-old Strathmore University student Kenneth Abom.
In a recent radio interview hosted by Shaffie Weru and Adelle Onyango, the ‘TBT’ crooner said he had already taken legal action as he called out the station for bad reporting and tarnishing his name.
“The problem was what KTN reported, it wasn’t even about whatever was happening. It’s sad that in this generation media personalities don’t take time to report facts. It was so sad to see a big TV station like that just doing hype,” said Octopizzo.
“It was bad reporting and I took legal action. I just told them to talk to the police as they were the ones in charge of the case and even the people who did the false reporting got their letters,” he added.
As reported by The Sauce early this year, the family of 19-year-old varsity student Kenneth Abom suspected the rapper injured their son on the head during a commotion at his house and complications from the injury may have led to the boy’s death.
According to the deceased’s brother Paul Abom, Kenneth came running to the house which is on the fourth floor with a cut on the right side of his head and a blood-stained shirt. His father Aggrey Abom said his son seemed to be recovering well on Friday but on Saturday at around 10 am, he succumbed to his injuries. He added that his son, who they said had an interest in music and arts, might have been curious after Octopizzo moved in the neighborhood recently.