Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Novak Djokovic poses with the year-end No. 1 trophy

Football

Strict quarantine awaits world’s top tennis stars in Australia

MELBOURNE, Australia, Jan 12 Tennis’ top stars face the threat of sanctions if they breach stringent Covid-19 protocols when they arrive this week for an Australian Open deemed by its top boss as needing a “small miracle” to go off without a hitch.

The calendar’s first Grand Slam normally starts in the third week of January but planning for this year’s tournament has been a logistical nightmare for beleaguered organisers.

Tennis Australia initially wanted players arriving in Melbourne by mid-December.

But restrictions on international arrivals to the state of Victoria pushed back the tournament start date to February 8, with a series of WTA and ATP events being played at Melbourne the week before to ensure players are up to speed.

Melbourne was the epicentre of Australia’s largest second wave outbreak of coronavirus, which prompted strict lockdown measures for four months.

This grim backdrop fuelled tense negotiations between government officials, organisers and players to iron out an agreeable health security protocol for the Australian Open.

Defending Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin admits having to quarantine for two weeks is “not the most ideal situation” © AFP / William WEST

The sticking point had been over allowing players to practise during the compulsory 14-day quarantine period but eventually authorities gave the green light and granted daily five-hour blocks for training and treatment.

Players, however, face stricter measures compared to last year’s US and French Opens held in cities stricken by the virus and will be required to spend 19 hours daily during quarantine confined to their hotel rooms.

Defending Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin admitted it was “not the most ideal situation”. “It is what it is. The rules are quite harsh, but it’s for everyone,” she said.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

There is also the threat of sanctions, including hefty fines, spending additional time in quarantine or deportation, if the rules are broken.

Ukrainian world number five Elina Svitolina hired a mental coach in an effort to cope with the stress and uncertainty.

“I think during the difficult time right now, mentally it’s very important to stay strong, to stay fresh,” she said.

– ‘Just crazy’ –

Six-time Australian Open champion Roger Federer’s decision to withdraw — breaking his record streak of 21 straight singles appearances in Melbourne — affects the pulling power of the tournament, which was left reeling after suggestions he skipped because of the quarantine rules.

Six-time Australian Open champion Roger Federer’s decision to withdraw — breaking his record streak of 21 straight singles appearances in Melbourne — has affected the pulling power of the tournament © AFP / Manan VATSYAYANA

The 39-year-old had two rounds of knee surgery last year and has not played since his semi-final defeat to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open 12 months ago.

“The problem is that Mirka (Federer’s wife) and their children couldn’t leave the room,” Tennis Australia’s head of player liaisons Andre Sa told Brazilian media.

“They would have to stay 14 days in the room. The exception is only for players.”

Just days ahead of players arriving organisers were forced into a scramble to find more accommodation after a luxury Melbourne hotel due to host them pulled out.

In a late twist, it was revealed Saturday that a contingent of up to 50 -– including top stars Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka -– would quarantine instead in Adelaide with an exhibition tournament held there prior to the Australian Open.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

It led to world number 72 Jeremy Chardy accusing organisers of preferential treatment.

Australian Open chief Craig Tiley admitted there would be “some benefits” for players amid the smaller cohort in Adelaide but said “the conditions of training will be the same”.

Tiley said the toll on organisers had been immense with a 1,270-strong contingent on 80 charter flights, bankrolled by Tennis Australia, journeying to Melbourne and Adelaide this week.

Australian Open flags flutter over the Melbourne Park tennis complex, with this year’s event beset by problems because of the Covid pandemic. “Logistically, to pull something like this off will be a small miracle,” says tournament chief Craig Tiley © AFP / Paul Crock

“It’s just crazy, we’ve never seen anything like it,” he told the Tennis Channel.

“Logistically, to pull something like this off will be a small miracle but we are giving it a good go.”

Even though Melbourne recently experienced a small new outbreak of the virus, Tiley expected crowd capacity at the Grand Slam to be around 50-75 percent, exceeding the biggest audience for a tennis tournament since the pandemic started.

“We are doing the best we can to deliver an Australian Open to as close as it was in 2020,” he said. “Hopefully there will be normalcy to it.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 15 – Daniel Wanjiru, the 2017 London Marathon champion has been slapped with a four-year ban by the World Athletics Disciplinary...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved