Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Sharks, Bandari FKF Shield final rained off

Center referee Davis Omweno inspects the Kasarani pitch before calling off the match. Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYA

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 1 – The final of the Football Kenya Federation Shield pitting defending champions Kariobangi Sharks and Bandari was rained off on Saturday evening with the dockers leading 2-1 at the Moi International Sports Center Kasarani.

The match will now be played on Sunday at 11am for the final 45 minutes with the holders hoping to overturn the single goal deficit.

Yema Mwana’s double had given Bandari a 2-0 lead before Patillah Omotto’s belter of a goal gave Sharks some hope.

Centre Referee Davis Omweno in action. Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYA

The heavens opened up with around 15 minutes left to half time and the pitch was soaked over the entire halftime period prompting the match officials to make a decision after a prolonged break.

After close to half an hour inside the dressing room, centre referee Davies Omweno came out with his two assistants and captains of both sides and after making a survey of the entire pitch decided to call off the tie.

“It was rather unfortunate, but beyond our control. We hope to finish the job tomorrow,” Bandari head coach Bernard Mwalala said after the tie was called off.

Linesman Cheruiyot Robert runs away from the pitch after it was called off. Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYA

But the tactician will have a headache to convince Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne to allow keeper Faruk Shilhalo play the game tomorrow as he was scheduled to leaver for France later on Saturday night.

Shikalo who might be playing his last game for Bandari before leaving for Tanzanian giants Yanga SC upon return from the Cup of Nations was in great form keeping his side in the game.

The dockers broke the deadlock in the second minute when Mwana raced to a ball planted behind the defense before slamming a powerful shot past Gad Mathews.

Bandari Yema Mwana dribbles past Kariobangi Sharks Thomas Teka. Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYA

Sharks had a chance to draw level in the fifth minute but Shikalo made a brilliant save to tip Duke Abuya’s powerful low shot behind for a corner. Six minutes later they came close when Eric Kapaito beat Brian Otieno to the ball to face Shikalo one on one but lifted the ball just wide.

For the missed chances, Sharks were made to pay when Abdallah Hassan put Mwema through with a brilliant through pass and the forward did the rest, his powerful shot going past Dad in the Sharks goal.

Happy Bandari fans following the action. Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYA

The holders however gave themselves some hope when Omotto struck a belter from outside the box after the Bandari backline cleared the ball to his path.

Sharks had a chance when Harrison Mwenda broke on the left but his low shot was well saved by Shikalo.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


More on Capital Sports


NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...


NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...


NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...


NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved