Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

English Premiership

Holders Chelsea, Man Utd through to FA Cup fourth round

Cesc Fabregas was in tears as he left the field at Stamford Bridge © AFP / Ben STANSALL

LONDON, United Kingdom, Jan 5Alvaro Morata scored twice as holders Chelsea began their FA Cup defence with a 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest in a match where a tearful Cesc Fabregas appeared to bid farewell to English football.

The third round is the stage where top-flight clubs enter the world’s oldest senior knockout football tournament and has traditionally been associated with upsets.

But after Saturday’s 1500 GMT matches, the lone giant-killing act had seen third-tier Gillingham beat Premier League Cardiff 1-0, while second-tier Derby, managed by former England midfielder Frank Lampard, came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with top-flight strugglers Southampton.

Both Morata and Fabregas have been linked with moves away from Stamford Bridge in the January transfer window, the latter is reportedly set to join a Monaco side managed by former Arsenal team-mate Thierry Henry.

Fabregas should have opened the scoring in the 30th minute but his poor penalty, after a foul on Ruben Loftus-Cheek, was saved by goalkeeper Luke Steele.

But two goals in the space of 10 minutes early in the second half from Morata, who had previously missed some clear chances, settled the tie.

Teenage prospect Callum Hudson-Odoi was the provider on both occasions, his cross to the near post setting up Morata for his first goal since November 29 in the 49th minute before the striker made it 2-0 with a header.

Cardiff, FA Cup finalists 11 years ago, conceded minutes from time when Gillingham midfielder Elliott List beat reserve goalkeeper Alex Smithies before the hosts survived more than eight minutes of extra time.

It seemed Southampton were cruising into the fourth round following goals early in each half by Nathan Redmond but Derby hit back with two in quick succession after the hour mark through Jack Marriott and Tom Lawrence.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

— Blazed over —

Marriott then missed a chance to complete a comeback win when he blazed over the crossbar in stoppage time.

Everton survived a scare to see off fourth-tier Lincoln 2-1 at Goodison Park.

Ademola Lookman and Bernard put the Toffees 2-0 up by the 14th minute but the hosts, 58 places ahead of their opponents, struggled after Michael Bostwick pulled a goal back in the 28th minute.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer applauds the crowd at Old Trafford after his Manchester United side beat Reading 2-0 in the third round of the FA Cup on Saturday © AFP / Oli SCARFF

Earlier, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer enjoyed a fifth successive win since taking over as interim manager of Manchester United following the dismissal of Jose Mourinho with a 2-0 win over Reading.

United, last season’s losing finalists, scored twice before half-time, through Juan Mata and Romelu Lukaku.

“You can’t ask for more than going through but the way we played wasn’t the best,” Solskjaer told the BBC.

“But we made nine changes, so I made it hard for the boys because they hadn’t played together too much but we got the goals and managed to get through.”

Marko Arnautovic had a curious match as West Ham beat Championship club Birmingham 2-0.

The Austrian striker scored as early as the second minute but was substituted after 19 minutes by manager Manuel Pellegrini.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“He felt a pain in his back at the beginning,” said Pellegrini. “He wanted to continue after that, but it was not good to take a risk.”

Andy Carroll, the man who replaced Arnautovic, made it 2-0 in the 90th minute with his first goal since April.

Elsewhere, an all-Premier League clash saw Brighton win 3-1 away to south coast rivals Bournemouth.

Premier League strugglers Burnley needed a late penalty from Chris Wood to see off third-tier Barnsley 1-0.

— Bizarre build up —

Arsenal had a bizarre build-up to their 1730 GMT kick-off when a Blackpool fan climbed onto the roof of the coach taking the squad to Bloomfield Road.

Eventually, after being spoken to by police officers, the man came down off the roof after some 40 minutes.

Lancashire police then arrested the man.

Liverpool, the Premier League leaders, play Wolves at Anfield on Monday.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Tottenham Hotspur became the first club into the fourth round this season with a 7-0 rout of fourth-tier Tranmere on Friday.


More on Capital Sports


NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...


NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...


NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...


NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 15 – Daniel Wanjiru, the 2017 London Marathon champion has been slapped with a four-year ban by the World Athletics Disciplinary...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved