PRAGUE, Czech Republic, Sep 9 – Kenya’s Joyciline Jepkosgei became the first woman ever to run 10 kilometres on the road in under half an hour after clocking 29min 43sec in Prague on Saturday.
The 23-year-old Kenyan, who set the world half marathon record in the Czech capital in April, beat her own record of 30min 04sec she had set during that race.
“I’m so happy, I thank God for making me the winner today and… (breaking) the world record,” Jepkosgei told Czech Television.
“I was very confident and I was hoping for the best,” she added, after beating compatriot Fancy Chemutai and Kenyan-born Bahrain runner Violah Jepchumba in Prague’s historic centre.
Kenyans also dominated the men’s race, with Benard Kimeli taking the honours in 27min 10sec, beating his brother Matthew and fellow Kenyan Rhonex Kipruto.
Behind her, compatriot Fancy Chemutai was second in 30:06, just two seconds outside of the previous world record for the third fastest time ever. Violah Jepchumba, last year’s winner, clocked 30:25 to finish third.
The men’s race also delivered some especially fast times, with the first three producing the three fastest times in the world this season. It was a thriller as well, with Benard Kimeli and Mathew Kimeli battling stride-for-stride over the final kilometre before Benard prevailed in 27:10, a new course record and lifetime best.
“I’m really pleased with my time,” the winner said. “The pacemakers were running a bit too slow, so I decided to take things into my own hands and set my own pace. The final two kilometres and the duel with Mathew were seriously gripping and I’m delighted to say I’ve finally managed to win in Prague.”
Mathew Kimeli crossed the finish just a step behind in 27:11 with little known compatriot Rhonex Kipruto third in 27:13.
Eight men managed to finish in under twenty-eight minutes including the Norwegian Sondre Nordstad Moen whose performance of 27:55 meant a personal best and the best European time recorded this year.
- Benard Kimeli, KEN 27:10
- Methew Kipkorir Kimeli, KEN 27:11
- Rhonex Kipruto, KEN 27:13
- Justus Kangogo, KEN 27:51
- Amos Kibiwot Kurgat, KEN 27:53
- Jamal Yimer Mekonnen, ETH 27:54
- Sondre Nordstad Moen, NOR 27:55
- Isaac Kipkoech Langat, KEN 27:55
- Robert Kipchichir Mwei, KEN 28:05
- Abel Kipchumba, KEN 28:06
- Joyciline Jepkosgei, KEN 29:43
- Fancy Chemutai, KEN 30:06
- Violah Jepchumba, BRN 30:25
- Sheila Chepkirui Kiprotich, KEN 30:28
- Stacy Chepkemboi Ndiwa, KEN 31:37
- Belaynesh Tsegaye, ETH 32:52
- Eva Vrabcová-Nývltová, CZE 33:08
- Iulia Shmatenko, UKR 33:18
- Olga Skrypak, UKR 34:01
- Kayoko Fukushi, JPN 34:44