Football Football

Bandari eliminate Gor Mahia from GOtv Shield

Bandari FC players celebrate at the Thik Stadium after eliminating Gor Mahia from the GOtv Shield on July 9, 2017. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

THIKA, Kenya, Jul 9- Substitute keeper Joseph Okoth was the hero as 2015 GOtv Shield champions Bandari eliminated 10-time Champions Gor Mahia on a 6-5 post-match penalties at the Thika Sub-County Stadium on Sunday.

Okoth had come in as a 91st minute substitute replacing Wilson Obungu and he proved the gamble was the right one, saving three penalties including the decisive one taken by midfielder Kenneth Wendo.

No winner was picked off from the first five penalties, taking the game to sudden death and Okoth proved to be the man of the moment.

The first five produced as much drama, with Bandari surviving by the skin of their teeth. Duncan Otewa was the first on the roster and he saw his kick fly out wide, handing Gor the advantage.

Meddie Kagere stepped up and took the advantage fully, scoring Gor’s first. Cosmas Lewis stepped up for Bandari’s second and scored sending Boniface Oluoch the wrong way.

New signing Boniface Omondi stepped up for Gor’s second making no mistake as Hamisi Mwinyi responded for Bandari.

Harun Shakava then scored for Gor with a brilliant kick taking the scores to 3-2. Bandari saw themselves fall off favor with Anthony Lugogo seeing his penalty saved by Boniface Oluoch.

However, Gor could not take the favor, Francis Kahata’s effort being saved by Okoth.

Bandari FC defender Noah Abich closes down on Gor Mahia’s Meddie Kagere in a GOtv Shield match at teh Thika Stadium on July 9, 2017. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

Noah Abich then stepped up to take Bandari’s last to keep them in the game and despite his former teammate at Tusker Oluoch having a touch, the ball spiraled into the net.

Oluoch then turned the other way to take Gor’s final kick and he only needed to score to ensure K’Ogalo, the record champions of the tournament go through. However, he struck his effort low and wide, seeing the first five kicks end at a 3-3 stalemate.

In sudden death Anthony Wambani and Michael Luvutsi as well as Wellington Ochieng and captain Musa Mohammed scored the first two penalties apiece.

The real drama unfolded in the third efforts when Bandari’s Siraj Mohammed struck the crossbar. Kenneth Muguna stepped up to take Gor’s third and he only needed to score to give Gor the win, but his effort was saved by Okoth.

Felly Mulumba gave Bandari lease of life scoring the fourth sudden death kick and Okoth ensured they won saving from Wendo.

Gor Mahia forward Jacques Tuyisenge chases down Bandari’s Andrew Waisswa during a GOtv Shield match at the Thika Stadium on July 9, 2017. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

The game was forced into penalties after a 1-1 stalemate in regulation time with Gor racing from a goal down. After a goalless first half which had plenty of scoring opportunities, the game opened up in the second half.

From a brilliantly executed counter attack, Bandari opened the scoring in the 57th minute through Cosmas.

The Dockers broke off on the right with the impressive Hassan Abdallah injecting some good punch of pace on the right beating Ernest Wendo and Musa Mohammed before laying in a low cross that Cosmas only tapped in.

Gor restored parity with 15 minutes left on the clock when substitute Omondi scored from close range after picking up a spill from Bandari keeper Obungu.

The Bandari backline had lost concentration after a clash involving Mulumba and Kagere and just as they were shaking off, they conceded.

Winger Innocent Wafula won the ball on the right before shooting low at goal with Obungu failing to hold on to the ball.

-Bidco through-

Bidco FC players celebrate their goal against Rain Forest at the Thika Stadium on July 9, 2017. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

In the earlier kick off, goals in either half by Stephen Onyango and Geoffrey Ouma gave National Super League side Bidco United a 2-0 win over Rain Forest Rangers as they advanced to the third round of the Gotv Shield.

Bidco should have won by a bigger margin had they converted their numerous chances but we’re lucky the lower tier Rangers side were neither as sharp upfront of goal.

Onyango opened the scoring on the half hour mark with a simple header inside the box from a cross on the right.

Bidco had created great scoring opportunities prior to the goal with former Sofapaka man John Walubuka and David Juma missing sitters.

In the second half,  Bidco continued dominating and they should have scored with open chances again.

First,  Walubuka hit the crossbar with an open goalmouth after dribbling past everybody including the goalkeeper.

Minutes later, Onyango squandered a chance that was harder to miss than score when he headed over alone in the box from an Edwin Walumolu cross.

However, substitute Ouma made it 2-0 in the 89th minute with a simple tap in off a Heritier Luvualu cross from the left. Ouma had been on the pitch for less than five minutes after coming on for the injured Juma.