LONDON, United Kingdom, Jan 15 – Valtteri Bottas’ potential move from Williams to replace Nico Rosberg at Mercedes is set to be resolved over the next week.
Claire Williams, deputy team principal of Williams, confirmed on Sunday that an announcement is imminent on whether the Finn will be free to fill the seat at Mercedes vacated by Rosberg.
Rosberg unexpectedly announced his retirement soon after winning last year’s Formula One world title.
Williams acknowledged negotiations regarding Bottas’ future have taken longer than expected but added they will soon be concluded.
“It has been dragging on and I think everyone wants to know,” Williams told Sky Sports News.
“It is a great opportunity for Valtteri, and he has given a lot to Williams.
“We’ve always said if we can make this happen on terms that are positive for Williams then it is probably the right thing to do.
“No one needs or wants a driver in your team that really wants to be somewhere else. It is not nice either to stop a driver who has such a great opportunity, particularly at this point of Valtteri’s career.
“But it has to work for Williams and that is what we’ve been working hard on over the past six weeks.
“We are nearly there; we are at the tail end of it and hope we’ll be able to make an announcement this coming week.”