Rugby Rugby

Kabras too sweet for Mwamba, KCB complete Nakuru double

A Kabras Sugar player wheels away from a Mwamba RFC opponent in a Kenya Cup match at the Railway Ground on January 14, 2017. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 14- Kenya Cup defending champions Kabras Sugar beat Mwamba RFC 37-32 at the Railway Ground on Saturday evening as the Kenya Cup returned after a four-week break occasioned by the death of two players in December, including Mwamba’s Victor Wayodi.

In the other matches played on match day eight, four-time champions KCB, despite missing their skipper Andrew Amonde completed a double over Nakuru RFC with a 28-10 result at the Nakuru Athletic Club.

Impala Club was another side in the mood for a double as they beat Strathmore Leos 29-14. At the Jamhuri Showground, leaders Kenya Harlequins suffered their first defeat of the season after going down 15-10 to Homeboyz RFC.

Back in the city centre, Kabras’ new boy Ugandan international Philip Wokarach contributed 12 points as the visitors picked a vital win on the road as they kept their title defense on track.

Hosts Kulabu had a positive start to the match with Brian Kivasia converting an early penalty. Kabras however got right back into it with Wokarach touching down on the left after some patient build up from his team.

Sava Racigi pulled Kabras 10-3 up with a powerful try, but the hosts drew back on level terms with Kenya Sevens star Collins Injera showing some clean heels with his trademark speed offloading to Mark Mureithi who dotted down. Kivasia converted for a 10-10 score-line.

But the resilience of the visitors paid off once again with Felix Ayange dotting down after maximizing on a defensive mistake from Mwamba. Wokarach missed the conversion but he made amends minutes later converting a penalty for an 18-10 lead.

Mwamba RFC’s Collins Injera attempts to find his way out during a Kenya Cup match against Kabras Sugar at the Railway Ground on January 14, 2017. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

The visitors stretched the lead to 25-10 with Malik Habil converting under the posts with a good run from deep in his own half and Wokarach added the extras for a 25-10 lead.

Kulabu however struck right at half time to reduce the deficit to 25-17, Humphrey ‘Tall’ Kayange touched down after capitalizing on some spaces in the Kabras defense with Kivasia adding in the extras.

The hosts pulled closer in the second half with Kayange dotting down his second try of the match after a quickly started foul 10 meters from the try line.

Kabras though got back into the lead with Levi Ochieng putting in a try on the right after out-sprinting his markers straight from a line out. Wokarach converted as they went 32-22 up.

Kivasia then scored a penalty to reduce the deficit for Mwamba, but Kabras kept the gap safe with George Otieno touching down after Kabras pushed into the try box from a scrum.

Lavin Asego’s try in the final minute of the match converted by Kivasia was never enough as the home side lost out 37-32.