Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Features

FKF, KPL name league expansion JEC members

KPL Chairman Ambrose Rachier addresses the media after a joint meeting between KPL and FKF on November 12 in Kasarani. PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 11- Football Kenya Federation and the Kenyan Premier League Limited have both nominated three members into the Joint Executive Committee (JEC) that will start discussions over the merits, modalities and mechanism for expanding the top tier league to an 18-team format.

FKF will be represented by president Nick Mwendwa, his Secretary General Robert Muthomi and National Executive Committee member Robert Amimo.

KPL on their side have chairman James Musyoki, his predecessor city lawyer Ambrose Rachier and Mathare United chairman Bob Munro. Muthomi will be the JEC secretary.

In its ruling on Tuesday afternoon, the Sports Disputes Tribunal instructed the two bodies to abide by the Memorandum of Understanding signed in September 2015, but stripped KPL of its casting vote, ruling it will be insurbodinating the federation.

According to the September 2015 agreement, a JEC is supposed to decide on the expansion of the top tier at least one season prior. This season, with FKF kicking out three clubs on club licensing reasons, the league will have 15 teams.

“It was a fair ruling which observed the rule of law. We will now wait to hear of the final outcome and we are all hoping for a permanent solution so we can focus on the football,” KPL CEO Jack Oguda told Capital Sport.

The JEC will have its meeting on Friday morning at the FKF headquarters in Kasarani and the discussions must be concluded by Monday, a day before they report to the tribunal the agreements they have come up with.

FKF had earlier said they would foot the costs of adding two extra teams into the top tier and KPL had earlier admitted they will find no problem to accept the two extra teams as long as the federation does not back down on its word.

In their submissions to the tribunal, KPL said adding two extra teams will change the financial dimensions of the other 16 teams in terms of shareholding and annual benefits.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The federation had said they are willing to forego their annual grant of Sh10mn from KPL as well as top it up with a Sh5mn sum which sponsors SportPesa have expressed willingness to add, and will increase it from within their own accounts to ensure the league goes on without hitch.

19 Comments

19 Comments

  1. Mungiki

    October 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

    I thought there was not a single witness as Uhuru’s mungiki supporters have been screaming all over the place. The prosecution seems to be confident with at least nine witnesses and some of that info if confirmed can be deadly. Lubanga was given 50 years after so many witnesses were ruled out and only one provided incriminating evidence. This thing is going to be a nightmare for Uhuru and the shoe is going to drop. Then Sonko can move with Uhuru to The Hague permanently and dance himself lame outside the court. What a pitiful show that was. Na bado.

    • Rhope

      October 8, 2014 at 7:59 pm

      LOL. You are funny.

    • George

      October 9, 2014 at 5:08 am

      You have a really long time to wait for that,Note that the nine witnesses have withdrawn, recanted or never existed.The birikimo mzungu lawyer was just reheasing what they said during confirmation ,forgetting that the trial court has no time for that nonesense and wants to see evidence and evidence alone.coming to think of which we all know that at that time ,one could buy a sim card or mobile phone ,use and discard,leaving no trace. And the ebola infested west african woman and perhap one the judges really believe someone can provide the numbers.THIS appears to be the focus of the otp,s case and all sensible people can see they will not achieve anything.

  2. Natty Dread

    October 8, 2014 at 4:08 pm

    We have 9 Mungiki hearsay witnesses, even worse than the 25 we have displayed in the Ruto/Sang case, but we count on the Chamber’s continued indulgence to stretch this thing all the way to 2039. It is our way of avoiding decisions on ISIS, Putin, Guantanamo Bay, etc.

    […Gumpert told the court that the prosecution was convinced that Mr Kenyatta used other numbers other than the one ending with 891.

    “As a wealthy man and a Cabinet Minister he must have had access to many phones. There is every reason to believe that data from telephones is still available and will reveal some relevance to the prosecution’s inquiries,” he argued.]

    What makes this a fishing expedition?

    OTP says that they have 9 Mungiki witnesses. Then OTP claims that the phone number ending with 891 cannot be the only one. How come the important Mungiki witnesses, some of whom have sat with UK in hotels, do not have another number for the OTP?

    P.s. Since these 9 witnesses are not new, why has Bensouda repeatedly had the case postponed?

    • Former President

      October 8, 2014 at 4:35 pm

      How do you know they don’t have other numbers. In any court there is one standard rule. No lawyer or prosecutor will ever ask you a question if they don’t already have the answer. If the lawyer asks you ” Where were you on the night of October 8, 2014?” They already know where you were and that is why they are asking you. As Gaynor said:
      “The good thing about mobile telephone data is that you cannot bribe it, or intimidate it. Mobile telephone data is at the heart of this case.”
      Be very careful what you wish for. This is how ICC runs circles around suspects.

      • Natty Dread

        October 8, 2014 at 4:38 pm

        Hell yeah! They have the numbers and all the logs even though compulsory SIM card registration was introduced 4 years after PEV.

        If the OTP is that clever, sly and dexterous, they’re taking big risks bluffing that they do not have any other numbers.

        • Tuko Jamhuri ya Hague

          October 8, 2014 at 4:57 pm

          Bwahahaha: According mungiki followers this case was going to be terminated today by the judges as Uhuru addresses Sonko and company dancing for him. Wasn’t going to happen. The judges will look at all the submissions and decide on how long they can postpone the case. Only the OTP can actually withdraw the case if they so decide and they have to convince the court that they are doing the right thing. Some people think the judges can arbitrarily just declare the case closed. No they can’t. This is not makadara court despite the makadara dancers outside.

          • Siphora

            October 8, 2014 at 8:21 pm

            The OTP cannot possibly fathom withdrawing the case. The OTP is well aware of errors of omission and commission it has in the process of this case. The consequences are dire. Vile Vile, the court has demonstrated performance below what would be expected of a court of international repute and specifically the court presiding judge. The underlying fear is claw back. If the case is dropped or terminated and the accused decides to claw back, Bensouda & Co or the presiding judge or both, depending on how the case ends, will be history in ICC books. Therefore, the two parties must play clever to exonerate themselves from blame and subsequent claw back. The easy target to apportion blame is the accused or the government.

          • Clement Baha

            October 10, 2014 at 11:52 am

            errors are everywhere but the interferences you have occasioned cannot possibly see the withdrawal of this case, pole!

          • Natty Dread

            December 5, 2014 at 11:44 am

            Judge Eboe Osuji and bench have given Bensouda 7 days to make a decision: prosecute or withdraw. No more dilly-dallying. If she fails to make either choice, the judges have the powers to DISMISS.

            Indeed, it is not Makadara Court and they cannot let a suspect suffer indefinitely because of prosecutorial incompetence.

      • Keniota

        October 8, 2014 at 8:28 pm

        They have no evidence, the point is clear. They run circles around the court to earn their salaries.

      • Gabby

        October 10, 2014 at 6:02 am

        Get RAO’s mobile phone data on the material period and you’ll be amused who should have been asking whom for their mobile phone data.

        • Clement Baha

          October 10, 2014 at 11:50 am

          this is how myopic you guyz are….do you really imagine things will forever stay in your favor; No No No. You remain among those brainwashed that RAO is the cause of Kenyatta problems…Its you people your selves.afterall he himself confessed he was defending ‘his people’ (k…..s) but other tribes are on their own

          • Gabby

            October 11, 2014 at 1:25 pm

            ‘you guyz ‘…….Post not worth a reply

    • Keniota

      October 8, 2014 at 8:25 pm

      At the same time OTP says the mungiki witnesses don’t have sufficient evidence. What a shame

  3. MajorT

    October 8, 2014 at 11:27 pm

    Mama Sukumawiki Bin Soda has no case here, just admit it!

  4. natenate

    October 9, 2014 at 11:12 am

    Ok bring those 9 murders to face justice for the victims.

  5. Natty Dread

    December 5, 2014 at 11:37 am

    Bensouda has 5 days remaining to engage these 9 Mungilki witnesses and save her case against Uhuru. The judges are tired of her monotonous Gambian belly-dance.

  6. Patrickunari

    September 22, 2021 at 6:03 pm

    best ed medicine ed meds pills drugs – cheap drugs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 27 – DStv and GOtv subscribers are in for a treat of the world’s best football this week as the 2020-21...

© 2022 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved