Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Features

City star Toure handed 18 month driving ban

Toure alongside his Rolls Royce Wraith in December last year in Wilmslow town centre. PHOTO/DM.

Toure alongside his Rolls Royce Wraith in December last year in Wilmslow town centre. PHOTO/DM.

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Dec 13 – Yaya Toure claimed he has never knowingly consumed alcohol despite accepting a drink-driving charge for being over the limit.

The Manchester City midfielder appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court after driving under the influence in Dagenham, east London.

He has been handed an 18 month driving ban and a £54,000 fine.

Toure did not contest the charge but insisted he wanted to make the judge aware any alcohol consumption was unintentional. However the 33-year-old did not elaborate on how the alcohol came to be in his system and said the judge accepted that version of events.

‘Over the last two weeks there has been some confusion as to why I was charged with drink driving, as it is well known that I am a Muslim and do not drink,’ Toure said in a statement.

‘I have always refused alcohol. Anyone who knows me or follows football will have seen me refuse champagne for Man of the Match performances because of my commitment to my religion.

‘The matter has now been resolved in court on Monday. As I was above the permitted limit when tested on the night, I decided not to challenge the charge.’

There was an element of confusion about the circumstances, given Toure has never been seen drinking at any City events.

Toure joined Manchester City in 2010 in a transfer worth around £24million and was a key influence in helping to win the club’s first ever Premier League title in 2012, before repeating the feat in 2014.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4028076/220-000-week-Manchester-City-star-Yaya-Toure-admits-drink-driving-charge-insists-didn-t-intentionally-drink-alcohol-religious-beliefs.html

He has also won the FA Cup and the League Cup twice, to add to the two La Liga titles and the Champions League he won with Barcelona.

Toure’s stock has fallen at City this season since the arrival of new manager Pep Guardiola, who kept him out of his first-team plans after a bust up with agent Dimitri Seluk.

The stand-off ended when Toure issued an apology last month and the player was brought back in for the Premier League victory at Crystal Palace on November 19, in which he scored twice.

Toure has vowed to keep working hard following his Manchester City recall and has played a further three times under Guardiola.

Manchester City are currently fourth in the Premier League table after 15 games, and will face Monaco in the last 16 of the Champions League after the draw was made on Monday.

By Daily Mail

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Features

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved