Football Football

Tusker through to Shield final after KCB win

Tusker FC players celebrate Noah Wafula's goal. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu
Tusker FC players celebrate Noah Wafula’s goal. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

NAKURU, Kenya, Oct 1- Noah Wafula’s goal three minutes into the second half sent Tusker FC to the final of the GOtv Shield with a 1-0 win over second tier side KCB at the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on Saturday.

The win sees Tusker remain on course to lift two titles this season and head coach Paul Nkata who was elated with the side’s victory believes they can manage to win both the Kenyan Premier League and GOtv Shield.

“It was a very tough match today because KCB were resilient especially in the first half. We managed to get into our own style in the second half and played better, and should have even had more than one goal,” Nkata said after the match.

KCB’s hope of spoiling Tusker’s party fell flat on its course with head coach Leonard Saleh shifting attention to the National Super League.

“We did not use our chances and we were punished for it. We kept the ball too much in the final third and if we would have done things differently, the story would have been better. But I am happy with the rest of the display, we managed to match Tusker’s performance,” Saleh said.

Tusker's Danson Kago takes on KCB left back Dennis Ng'anga
Tusker’s Danson Kago takes on KCB left back Dennis Ng’anga. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu

KCB were dominant in the first half with Erick Ochieng and Benjamin Chaka being the most wasteful.

Chaka cut into the box in the 13th minute but his effort with the goal clear ahead of him went awry while on the opposite end, Wafula’s strike from distance went against the bar as Shafik Batambuze struck a freekick inches wide.

Three minutes into the second half, Wafula got the ball into the net, heading into the far post after Allan Wanga’s initial effort came against the crossbar.

Ten minutes later, Wafula should have had his second but his shot from Anthony Ndolo’s cutback came against the upright.

KCB gave in a fight, seeing a clear chance of getting something off the match but lady luck was not on their side as Tusker held on to advance to the final and stand a chance to quench a 23-year-wait to lift the domestic cup as well as represent Kenya at the CAF Confederations Cup.