NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 5 – The case of top Italian athletics manager Federico Rosa over doping related charges has been adjourned to November 22 and 23.
This is after the prosecution through State Counsel Mary Wang’ele told the court on Monday that they were not ready to proceed with case because the file had been forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecution for review.
The court was told that the review was because of a letter that the Italian Embassy had written to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which asked for the file to be reviewed.
The prosecution asked for more time to get in touch with the witnesses and Nairobi’s Kibera Law Court Principal Magistrate Bernard Ochoi granted the adjournment.
Federico, who is facing six counts of doping related charges, deposited his passport last week as he was ordered by the court which had granted him the travelling document to attend the concluded Rio Olympic Games where he had top athletes representing Kenya including three-time world champion Asbel Kiprop.
Federico, who is the Director of Rosa Associati, was released in July on a Sh500, 000 bond after two athletes filed the application, accusing him of injuring their athletics career through doping.
Retired athlete Elijah Kiprono Boit, a fourth finisher at the 2001 IAAF World Youth Championships, claimed Federico administered him banned substance between 2004 and 2008 in Italy while disgraced top marathoner Rita Jeptoo, who is serving a two-year ban for failing drugs test, alleges she was administered with the banned substance in 2004.
Both athletes are listed as witnesses in the case which came at a time where more than 40 Kenyan athletes have failed drugs test since 2011, with the latest seeing former two-time world cross country champion Emily Chebet given a four-year ban after testing positive for the diuretic furosemide.