CAIRO, Egypt, July 24 – World javelin silver medallist Ihab Abdelrahman could miss next month’s Rio Olympics, after Egypt’s anti-doping organisation said Sunday they were temporarily suspending him after a positive test.
The Egyptian is also temporarily banned from entering the Games.
The suspension and Olympics ban will be fully confirmed if a second sample, which will be tested Monday, also turns out positive.
Abdelrahman won silver in the world athletics championships last year in Beijing.
Samples were taken from Abdelrahman at his home on April 17, and sent to a laboratory in Barcelona, a statement from the organisation said.
“The analysis was done and it was proven that there were two types of external sources of the male hormone (testosterone) that have been taken by the athlete,” it added.
The laboratory has already been contacted to carry out the second test Monday.
In the outcome of a negative result, the athlete will be allowed to participate in Brazil.